Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Pipercross AirBox suitable for R3/4/500 NOISE RESULTS FROM BEDFORD ARE ADDED TO Page 14

frankyknuckles

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some very interesting comments

I guess these need passing back to the manufacturer when we have the power and noise results

Simon did you get the paddles out of the blue Demon Tweeks catalogue *confused* 😬

A10ROX:OK, its an R500 without the magnesium bits sump etc and only 205bhp!

Edited by - A10ROX on 29 Mar 2006 18:50:53

Nic pics *cool*

Looks like I may have an issue, I've got a Pace dry sump tank in the front of the engine, so the expansion tank is mounted where the end of the airbox wants to be.

I'll have to look to see if the expansion tank can go somewhere else 😳

Simon had trouble with his car yesterday, so no testing was done on the rolling road.

I will be collecting the airbox tomorrow and will noise test it at Abingdon on Friday 7th and then again (and this will be the acid test) at Bedford on Good Friday. I will also try and give some subjective feedback on how the car drives with and without the airbox.

www.R300.net

Does anyone have any tips for testing this product re noise levels?

I was simply going to arrange to drive past a noise meter on full chat with and without the box to see what difference in noise level is recorded. How far away should the noise meter be? Is it best to measure noise from both sides of the car or just from the exhaust side?

With the cooperation of MSE, I should be able to do this on Friday.

At Bedford, I will simply use the box all day and see if I get warned (or thrown off the track) for too much noise. The last time I was there I was warned repeatedly, so if I get no warnings on Good Friday, then maybe the box is doing it's job. I will also ask if easytrack can record my noise levels for me past the most sensitive meters.

www.R300.net

to get any meaning full comparison you would need to drive past the same noise meter , at the same speed under the same throttle loading at the same distance with the same wind speed and direction in the same location.

I would suggest someone holds the meter at arms length and your measure 10 m away and place a cone, then drive past at say 60 mph in 3rd gear and acellarate under full throttle past the cone and noise meter at say 5000 rpm - and do this 3 times to gain repeatable readings, then do the same in the opposite direction and finally repeat without the airbox fitted.

Dave

franky,

assuming the product is good for a couple of dB reduction - i'm interested in buying 1 or 2 to keep on the BaT truck to help noisy BaT customers.

also, i'm willing to help in any way I can with regards to testing the item. drop me a mail (jonny@bookatrack.com) if you want to discuss this further.

Jonny

BaT

First of all a big thanks to Ed and Tash from MSE to allow me to test the product during the lunch break *thumbup*

The results from testing today are somewhat confusing and I do not know if they are good / bad or what.

Car tested : SLR300 with standard rbtb, timed verniers, remapped ECU, standard 4 header pipes, short de-cat pipe and CC (large R500) 7" silencer.

We setup the test as follows. A test meter was held 10 metres (or so, we didn't measure it) away from the car as I drove past on full throttle in 4th gear at somehwere between 6300 and 6800 rpm. We tested the noise reading with the standard filter and with the box fitted. We measured the noise reading with me driving in both directions, so from Drivers Side (DS) and from Exhaust Side (ES). The results are as follows.

With standard airfilter.

Time : 12.07, Overcast conditions, cold/dry

Noise readings.

ES -- DS

90.7 -- 83.3

85.9 -- 83.7

88.4 -- 83.3

Average

ES -- DS

87.8 -- 83.4

Max

ES -- DS

90.7 -- 83.7

Min

ES -- DS

85.9 -- 83.3

DS is reasonably stable, but why do the readings vary so much from the ES ?

With airbox installed.

Time : 13.36, Overcast Conditions, cold/damp/dense air

ES -- DS

85.4 -- 83.7

87.7 -- 82.8

87.9 -- 82.5

87.2 -- 81.4

Average

ES -- DS

87.05 -- 82.6

Max

ES -- DS

87.9 -- 83.7

Min

ES -- DS

85.4 -- 81.4

DS again is stable, ES is now stable and reasonably consistent at 87.

With airbox installed, trying for higher revs.

Time : 13.41 Overcast Conditions, cold/damp/dense air

ES -- DS

89.3 -- 84.5

90.1 -- 87.1 + 7000rpm

===========================

I'm not sure what to conclude from this? Weather conditions were stable, but maybe the revs were not exactly the same for each run, but I am sure that I was between 6300 and 6800rpm in 4th, on full throttle.

www.R300.net

Edited by - frankyknuckles on 7 Apr 2006 20:39:21

A bit of a fiddle to be honest.

I had to remove the throttle cable from the pedal box (otherwise it got in the way).

I had to slightly bend the bottom of the back plate to get the tongues on the box slotted into the grooves.

I had to remove the dzus fasteners from the filter and put them on the box.

Then a bit of force and a jiggle got the box on.

The last dzus fastener (on the right hand side) is a bugger to turn becasue it is recessed behind the body of the airbox.

The reason it is a fiddle to fit is because the plastic is very thick on the tongues and they do not flex at all.

I had it fitted in about 10 minutes.

www.R300.net

Franky and all.

Just found new fastners for the airbox on my desk. Must have been included in the kit. So you don't have to remove the existing ones from the old filter. Its not that difficult anyway.

Did you notice any difference in the drivability?

It would seem from the results that it doesn't make much difference to noise - at first glance anyway. Did it sound different in the car?

• Leadership Team
Would also be better if they provided the dzus fasteners
It appears they do:
Just found new fastners for the airbox on my desk. Must have been included in the kit

*thumbup*

Stu.