Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Pipercross AirBox suitable for R3/4/500 NOISE RESULTS FROM BEDFORD ARE ADDED TO Page 14

frankyknuckles

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like Simon's idea *thumbup*

Proof that the unit does not restrict air flow would really convince me *thumbup*

and how many others *confused*

Surely Pipercross would be willing to lend a box for test against possible sales of 30+ if it works

I know it is a bit more work

However we have someone willing to try on teh rolling road

and a chunk of people ready to buy if it performs against the standard filter

Any chance of this *confused*

A10ROX:OK, its an R500 without the magnesium bits sump etc and only 205bhp!

There are 2 reasons for buying the airbox.

1. To reduce noise on selected tracks such as Bedford and Donington where even a standard R300 can be too loud.

2. To duct cold air to the throttles to make more power.

It is almost a forgone conclusion that the box will be more restrictive than the standard filter, so when tested on a rolling road, it will be no suprise to see a reduction in power (especially when you consider the heat of the airflow on the rollers). When I discussed this with pipercross this morning, they did say that they expect a power reduction with the airbox if tested on a rolling road. But also they did say that on track, with ducting, they expect that there will be a slight increase in power (as proved with +2bhp on the R1, although I don't know how they measured this on track???). So taking the middles ground, can we deduce that there will be negligable difference in power when the airbox is used on track with no ducting?

How do we measure the noise levels with and without the airbox?

My interest in buying this airbox is simply to use it if I ever get warned that my car is too loud (ie, have it handy as insurance against getting thrown off track) and if I have to use it I will not be messing around with ducting and accepting that I may loose 2 to 3 bhp on track (not that I think I would notice such a small power loss).

Simon, if you do the testing, how would you like monies to be exchanged?

www.R300.net

Franky,

Please also register my interest- good work, it sounds a great deal *smile*. Some feedback from the RR and your noise reduction comparison test would be handy prior to my confirming (........ I've always wanted to drive Donington but was always worried the R300 would upset the locals by drowning out the noise of the passing jumbo-jets 😬).

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

I too would like to see the outcome of some testing on the RR. Whilst my intended useage is the same as others (ie insurance against being kicked off a trackday), I'd like some comfort that fitting the airbox would only give a small drop in power, and not strangle the engine's output. Whilst I hear what Pipercross are claiming, they are salespeople at the end of the day, and may be tempted to "promise the earth" to get an order for 30 units *wink*

WOW - GREAT NEWS !!!!!!!!

Pipercross are willing to lend us an airbox for testing 😬 *thumbup*

I have also been told that the kit also inlcudes the cold air ducting pipe which makes the bulk buy price even better !!!!

Simon Rogers, you have mail. You need to contact James or Joff at Pipercorss who will deliver an airbox to you. You will then need to get it to me for the 24th (after your rolling road session) so I can noise test it at Abingon. (I presume you have the standard roller barrell setup?)

*thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

www.R300.net

Edited by - frankyknuckles on 3 Mar 2006 10:28:46