Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Pipercross AirBox suitable for R3/4/500 NOISE RESULTS FROM BEDFORD ARE ADDED TO Page 14

frankyknuckles

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still interested.

Everything that makes a contribution to reducing noise (ideally with no noticanble loss of power) has got to be good. I am sure that the answer is in this sort of thing, plus big exhaust (maybe even rear exit) and has anybody had any experience with sound-deadening lining on the inside of the bonnet because it must act like a drum and magnify under-bonnet noise as standard!

M

Martin

Red Ticker

Franky, can you remove me from the list! I have the Pace dry sump tank in front of the engine, and don't think there is enough room, to fit the air box, as my header tank is just in front of where the airbox pipe would join it ☹️

Guys this is probably my fault due to the ongoing "Bloody Oil Leaks" I am experiencing.

I suggest that the 'box is passed on to a n other to do the test on the rollers.

Llandow is not suitable to drive by noise tests as the pits are on the wrong side.

I will post it to anyone who requires it. With all the now found clips etc.

Since it doesn't fit my car perfectly due to my raised engine mounts I will not be opting for the airbox anyway. It can be posted (and insured Friday this week).

Again sorry guys. Three times to the rollers is getting a bit boring given the 5hr drive each way. *mad*

• 2 weeks later...

that seems fairly consistent with my experience of fitting it. The box is extreemely tight agains the back plate, the plastic is thick and with the amount of stress in the box when fitted and the number of times it has been on and off various cars, I am not suprised it has cracked. I think the construction of the box needs working on. Peter, you might want to angle the hose more towards the top corner of the rad to ensure nice cold air into the filter, again, another 'problem' area with the design of the box. (it can of course be used without the trunking).

www.R300.net

Peter - excellent pics by the way. I think you have shown everyone what Dave and I have been trying to say in words.

I had not noticed the cracks. It only actually ever went onto my car once as the car never seemed to want to run when it was up for testing. There are a couple of things that obviously vary between cars though. But bear in mind that my engine sits on 19mm raised mountings. The throtle cable is not affected on my car at all. Neither the nose cone fastner mount. The hose also easily reached the forward face of my radiator. I would not have cut the hose at that point otherwise.

Since i had not fitted it since it first arrived the cracks are surprising. Dave how many times on and of your car. Once for me.

I think this is important for all as it seems there are many who intend to exchange for various uses etc.

I installed it on my car half way through a track day. I left it on for about 1 week, then did another full track day with it installed, left it on the car for two weeks at which time it was removed (so fitted, left on for a while and then removed). The car is stored in a cold garage, has the plastic fatigued? It was a very tight fit, I was of the impression that there was alot of strain on the plastic whilst it was fitted.

www.R300.net

So including Peter its only been fitted 3 times and done approx 200 🤔 miles on Daves car. Yes it was under strain whilst fitted but this should only have been against the back plate and mounting foam. The cracks don't seem to be related to this. They seem to be construction faults.

The pipe was just ploncked on.

I think they need to undertake some more development with this box as far as fit and finish are concerned. I know I will want a box that can be easily removed

I for one, no matter how cheap it is, would be thinking seriously about buying one BUT lets be too hasty.

I need to get it on the rollers to find out how the power difference/delivery compares. I am away this weekend on the 7s tour so, assuming I have not blown the engine up 😬, will hope to test it soon after that

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*

so is the only fitting issue is the fact that the inserts through the backplate need a tiny bit of fettling with a file ??.
Not quite as once fitted it seems to be under strain causing the glued parts to come adrift. Probable not a problem if you fit and forget but possibly a problem if people want to use it just for track days

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*