Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ital to Ford axle conversion

simonray

Does anyone have experience of converting fro Ital to Ford live axles? The nearside rear hub is starting to part company from the rest of the axle, which I had been warned about as a problem with this axle as power and tyre adhesion increases. The thought of the hub doing the same trick half way around Fordwater doesn't bear thinking about. I'm told the RS2000 axle is practically indestructible.

There are uprated half-shafts available for the Ital axle, if that'd solve your problem more cheaply. The Scholarship/Graduates are swooping over to them and they seem to be a lot better than than the originals from a scrap Ital (i.e. none of us have shed a wheel recently). Talk Caterham or Classic Carriage Co.

The uprated half-shafts probably would solve the current problem. However, the Ford axle offers so much more scope for development (more power than the 150bhp or so that I have at present, opportunity to convert to rear discs at some stage, use of slicks without worrying about breaking it) that it seems a good idea to do it now while there's an opportunity.

I think Raceline are going to sort it out for me.

Simon Ray

If you mean the cost of axle conversion, it starts at about £1000, depending on how much you do yourself and the various options. SPC will supply a suitable (LSD) axle for £850-900 + VAT, but you'll need a modified propshaft as well (shortened and different flange). Fisher sportscars have quoted me £700 inc for an axle (with 3.89 LSD)and £108 inc. for the propshaft. They can even convert to Triumph centres if required.I believe the 'up-rated' Ital half-shafts simply have the bearings welded on to the shaft.

THe uprated half-shafts are remanufactured out of decent material rather than cheese. They are new, rather than just coming out of a scrapper Ital that doesn't have much QC. The bearing is welded, but this is also causing problems that we're attacking kerbs so hard we're breaking the weld! Supposidly, the weld is just there to appease scrutineers...?

Edited by - Graeme Smith on 29 May 2000 09:43:39