Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Induction Noise

Bozz

I have a standard 1.6K SS with Piper verniers, DVA 'adjusted' standard plenum and throttle body. Since the work was done I've only driven a few miles but have noticed the following changes to the engine's characteristics:-

1.Throttle response IS dramatically improved and feels like it's producing another 20bhp. 😬

2. Exhaust noise is much deeper and much more of a 'bark' (std short 4-1 ☹️)

3. Idling is less smooth (hunts s bit) but not dramatically so, but also seems to want to 'fast' idle at times rather disconcertingly.

4. Induction 'hiss' when throttle closed such as between gearchanges seems to have disappeared ( I quite miss this ☹️)

Any thoughts, comments from the oracle that is BC *wink*

Bozz

Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma *confused*

My Chocolate Orange here

The induction noise used to be very noticeable - a loverly hissing 'slurp' as the throttle was closed between gearchanges, I supose this may be as a result of the throttle butterfly 'reprofiling'.

Jenvey's here we come 😬 😬 😬 😬

Bozz

My Chocolate Orange here

Bozz,

Dave most likely opened up the throttle stop screw so that the engine is less reliant on the IACV at idle as more aggressive cam timing can confuse the MAP sensor. The hiss before was probably air flowing through the IACV.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

The retiming of the cams makes the idle settings much more sensitive and a properly working IACV can still result in a fluctuating idle.

The remedy seems to be to put a restrictor in the IACV pipe and allow slightly more air through on the throttle stop. A restrictor can be made from a piece of nylon bar with a 3mm hole drilled through the middle and inserted in the tube from the throttle body to the IACV. This can result in a very steady idle.

Peter, would that solve the problem of a complete dead spot just off tickover. The throttle on mine has always not permitted operation between tickover and about 2000rpm (no load operation - it's fine pulling below that with load on as the throttle is open further). It seems to point to a throttle pot issue, but the pot checks out ok.

C7 CDW

Ok thanks guys but.........

if I wanted to check out the IACV with the manifold in place what is the best way of removing it without losing any bits in the manifold (if this is possible) 🤔

Do you just undo the two torx screws which fit the 'motor' to the valve body or do you undo the 4 torx screws that fix the valve and motor assembly to the manifold?

Is it possible that a good clean and relub will reduce any likelihood of sticking?

Bozz

My Chocolate Orange here