Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

bulk buyPipercross now do an airbox @£165 for the R3/4/500

Jason Plato

details of Frankies bulk buy is here

EDIT 2 march - I just spoke to Pipercross technical and they also confirmed that the air box is only avaiable in 78mm depth - this must have been a misunderstanding of mine on the stand at the show with the airbox on display,in that they meant it has a 100mm inlet and not the 100mm internal depth ☹️ . Sorry *smile*

Original message :

I went to the Hisoric motorsport show on Sunday and Pipercross had on the stand an airbox suitable for the R3/4/500 with 100mm internal depth , making it suitable for the Caterham fitment . Previously the box has only been available in 70mm depth.

I was impressed withe the quality of consruction - it was made from a moulded textured plastic rather than glass fibre and had a very neat integral 100mm pipercross filter built onto the intake of the airbox, the fasteners were located on the exterior of the box - just like yur current filter. So all you need to add would be the length of hose for a cold air feed somewhere under your nose. It also used a base plate the same as the R3/4/500 (PX600 type ) so it would be a quick swop over.

The price quoted was a cracking £165 + vat ! *cool*

pictures are here and here but I guess more details could be sought from Pipercross

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 1 Mar 2006 11:40:05

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 2 Mar 2006 10:48:48

The only reason I would add a hose would be to draw cold air rather than the warm air directly behind the radiator (every 10C lower air temp = about +3% power ) You could point the cold air duct in the opposite direction to travel so that you dont suck up all the debris off the road / track. *smile*

The Pipercross filter mounts on the backplate differently to the ITG so you wouldnt be able to use the same backplate.

the dimensions for a ITG JC50 backplate are here

You will have to call Pipercross or search the net to get the dimension of the PX600 backplate .

pipercross sell blank PX600 backplates so making one up to be suitable for the swan necks shouldnt be much of a problem *smile*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 28 Feb 2006 13:18:23

Get the Pipercross part number.

Get Halfords vouchers saving 10%

Order the part via Halfords 😬

Plus if you buy at present they are giving £10 vouchers for sales over £50.00

I went through the checkout 3 times last weekend with some tools and a very helpful if not gulable youg assistant. £30.oo better off 😬

Dave,

Any idea if this would fit a K with Jenvey's?

I know Bernard is making a new version for use with 90mm tumpets and a larger 85mm filter neck but this is well under that price.........

also with it clear the standard fuel rail / injectors or will I need to 'invest' (read more dosh!)in the Pico versions?

Thanks

Q1: Even the "thinner" Pipercross moulded front was quite square/angular at the bottom left where it's in danger of fouling the tie-bar which protrudes from near the pedalbox. It's already a bu**er getting my ITG fitler on around this and it's far more curved. Are there any drawings so fit could be be checked before purchase?

Q2: I believe the original design had two intake size options. A 70mm (?) and a 100mm dia. Does the new one have this option too?

It's a nice piece of kit if it can be made ot fit!

It's not pink, it's medium red violet...!

What "tie bar" 🤔 *smile*

have an ITG on a JC50 backplate and its OK for clearance everywhere .

As an earlier post by Franky confirmed , this airbox uses the same backplate as the R3/4/500 so its should be a direct replacement.

if you have any other questions - its probably best to speak to Pipercross on specifics and dimensions. Or buy one, try it, and return it oif it doesnt fit 🤔 *smile*

here is C7 TOP