Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hex tool for bottom wishbones?

CharlieD

After reading about the problem undoing the bottom wishbone bolt I thought it best to do some routine maintenance, but you guessed it............ rusted solid *eek*.

Anyone know where to get a 5.5mm or 7/32 hex bit with 1/2 inch drive? Seems not a size Snap-on do.

Charlie

Charlie,

I got mine (7/32) from my local tool shop. (Wincheap Tool Supplies, Canterbury, Kent).

I would advise you to get a good quality (£7+) one as they take a fair hammering! May also be worth getting a 6mm one at the same time, just in case you round the hex off in the bolt. (see my previous thread!)

Bruce.

Corrected spelling of Wincheap!

Edited by - Brucey on 27 Feb 2006 18:04:35

Torx drives sometimes work when you round off a hex socket - hammer a torx bit in and try again.

Helps to use a good quality one as it won't shear or round off - but I had to admit it is not a recommended way to treat quality tools.

If you suspect it is seized, when you put the correct key in, crack it a few time with a hammer - or used a suitable drift (just don't burr the bolt head over) - the hammer blows will assist in shocking the corrosion grip free - or a little bit freer anyway.

When you get it out, coat the replacement along the shank and head with anti-seize - threadlock on the threads of course - although I can't see why a spring washer under the bolt head wouldn't do? Maybe a decent quality one.

Bri

Be extra careful when trying to undo those bolts Charlie. If you damage the allen socket in the bolt they can be a PIG to get undone. If the tool even begins to look like it's slipping STOP.

Nic and I had a hell of a job last Saturday getting his corroded one out. When we eventually removed the offender it was obvious that the penetrating oil hadn't.

My recommendation is a good quality 7/32" allen bit. Take it out of its socket, place it in the bolt head and give it a few good accurate hits with a proper hammer. This should break the seal of the corrosion.

When trying to turn it with the wrench, make sure the major bias is pushing the tool inward towards the bolt and GENTLY apply the turning motion. Take your time and it should hopefully respond.

(Whatever you do, don't mention the sledgehammer *eek*)

After it alls goes wrong have a 6mm and then an 8mm to bash in with a very big hammer!!!

No joking either

Very frustrating and we were almost on the verge of taking the wish bone off so we could put it in the vice or buy a new one!!!!

BIG HAMMER!!!!!!

Cheers

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

They're a CC Special.

But if they're put in right with Copperslip and Loctite (in the right places *eek*) first time then you'll never have a problem with 'em. Problems come when they're just whanged in new, sans protection, and you expect 'em to come out the same after 20,000 miles on salty roads.

Paul