Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Slow starter motor

Peter T

I thought that the battery was knackered on my car as the starter motor did not spin the engine up fast, it was very slow and seemed to consume a lot of juice, to the point where it took all the energy to start the car, and it only turned over 4-6 times, if it did not catch then it was not going to. *mad*

Anyway new battery fitted................. and it is the same, so is my starter kaput?

Is the R500 starter the same as the normal versions?

How much is one and is it worth fitting a Brise? *thumbup*

Carbon Components Here *arrowright* K9 Composites

• Support Team

Peter, I would recommend the Caterham race starter - it is a massive improvement on the standard one and turns over my 1.9 easily. Just make sure it will fit under your primaries first. It is £280 though *eek*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 27 Feb 2006 12:09:48

I can recommend the Brise - same problems as Shaun in that the standard starter was not up to turning over the 1900K when hot. Fitted the Brise (from memory about £250 delivered) has sorted it completely - as many hot starts as you like, and spins the engine over nice and fast. It also has the advantage the solenoid is underneath the starter and hence further from the primaries than with the Caterham race starter (I originally bought one of these but it fouled on the SLR exhaust manifold).

One thing to watch is that I had to grind down the head of one of the bolts on the Brise holding the adaptor plate to the starter until it was flush with the adaptor plate, as it was fouling the flywheel - to the extent it wouldn't bolt on square to the bellhousing!

Dave