Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will i notice the difference?

Westfield

I have a set of 185 60 14 Firestone ZV1 on my W*******d. I am thinking of changing them for a set of Yokohama but before I do I have a couple of questions

which type would people recommend? - I use it mainly for the road but may do a couple of track days this year.

how much will I notice the difference? Is it chalk and cheese of will I be disappointed? The Firestone have been on for 6000 mile and still look like new so I dont want to replace them unless there will be a noticeable difference.

Should I stick with the same size? The rims are 6J

any help would be appreciated

Hi Tony,

don't know the firestones, so cannot comment on these, but look at recent threads down the page called 'tyres' and 'A0-21r's', both of which are fairly recent. We have 32's, and compared to our old michelins, yes - HUGE difference. Much more fun! May change to 21r's now they are available again in 2002, and keep the 32's for track days. If the firestones are anything like the michelins, then change now without hesitation!!

I changed from my Avon Roadsports (which I think are like your Firestone in that they don't seem to run out of tread) to Yoko's.

I got a set of Yoko 21r's for the road and used them on a wet track day and they was a world apart from the Avon Roadsports. (On 14" wheels)

I then got some Yoko 32r's on 13" wheel and they was yet another world away from the 21r's.

My best advice is if you can afford it get a set of 13" wheels and 32r's for trackdays if you intend to do them, or just for the road keep your normal wheels and put 21r's one them.

I was told that for the number of fast road miles per set of tyres I should get the Following:

Avon Roadsports 12,000 or more

Yoko 21r's approx 6000 about £ 60ish per tyre

Yoko 32r's approx4500 to 5000 about £ 60ish per tyre

The reason for this is that the tyres are softer, so you gain in grip but lose in life span.

Hope this helps

New Superlight arrives this week teeth.gif, Days to wait are getting very few!!! teeth.gif

I'd get 21Rs and yes you will notice the difference.

I honestly don't believe 32Rs are as good for a road biased tyre as 21Rs. They're not as progressive in break away and wear out a lot quicker (about half the time in my experience). They do have better turn in feel, they do grip a *bit* better in the dry and they look a million times better though.

For a dry track tyre the 32R gives gains over the 21R but they're not that massive (again, in my opinion). If I were buying tyres for dry track days, though, I'd buy some part worn slicks. Cheaper and much better for the track.

In fact, this is what I'll be doing very soon having just demolished my rear 32Rs. If anyone wants some part worn fronts, give me a buzz.

As for size, 185s should be fine if you've had no problems to date.