Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust options for crossflow

ashaughnessy

My originally 1987 standard spec supersprint has been rebuilt to have 244 cam and various other goodies to allow it to rev past 7000 and so hopefully produce prodigious power (for a crossflow :-)

However, I still have the original 40DCOE webers and the original 4-2-1 rear exit exhaust pipe.

The engine builder is recommending weber 45s but also reckons I'll need a 4-1 larger bore side exit exhaust otherwise the exhaust will rob power at the top end, making the larger carbs pointless.

What are the options? Does caterham still do one (I'll ring on monday, but can't wait to find out! :-) What about noise levels? I'll need it to be quiet enough to get by on track days. What other suppliers are there? I'd like an off-the-shelf item that will bolt straight on (notwithstanding cutting the larger hole in the side skin).

Anthony

Caterham do a 4 into 1 and you can get a Raceco 7 inch box made ready to fit, repackable, light and not to loud. This will transform your cars feel.

About £900 inc vat all in.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

I changed to a 244 cam, 4:1 race exhaust and large bore side exit (in my case Techcraft titanium) last year. The new exhaust system made a big difference to the power available lower down in the rev range. I was also told that the old rear exit exhaust was the limiting factor and had to be change to release the potential performance available fron the other bits. Certainly feels liek it has.

I haven't changed to 45s - it would be interesting to know if they make any difference eventually.

The new side exit is quieter than the old rear exit - but it has lost that lovely crackle and pop you used to get with it - and the flames no longer try to set fire to the car behind on overrun 😳 😳

Mike

Just changed mine from rear exit 4-2-1 to a side exit - but still retained the 4-2-1 manifold using a connecting pipe from Miclk at Redline Components *thumbup*

Sounds great, but as I don't have any brakes at the moment , the flat out road test will have to wait !!!