Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

source of suspension springs ?

Tony Martyr

I am replacing the standard 1996 front suspension with a widetrack, adjustable spring seats, 0.5 inch ARB and 250 lb springs.

Are these springs a standard Caterham part that I have to buy with the rest of the kit or are they purchased from 3rd party suppliers, for a better price.

If the latter what is the spec in terms of free length etc?

Caterham do not stock a wide range of springs. They probably have 250 lbs fronts and 215 rears. If you want 200 lbs try Deemon Theives or Miserable Motor Sport. Gary May at Juno also can supply. you will have no problem sourcing the fronts in the correct lenght 7" but the rears are more difficult as 13" length is ideal for the rear end AFAIK juno have these. If you go for 14" you end up with too much pre load to get to the correct ride height and 12" are too short.

Rob.

I have a 1997 de Dion. Watch you don't go too hard at rear. I put 250 front and 180 rear - it wasn't brilliant! I now have 250 and 110lbs (yes 110), however I now have front and rear adjustable anti roll bars. The difference is unbelievable. The car is comfortable, has little roll, goes where you point it, sits down on acceleration and grips like hell. I had my suspension designed by Alan Staniforth and the cost was worth it. Cr used on road, track, sprints and hillclimbs.

SLRs have the same set up as SLs as std - 150 lbs with 18mm arb at the front, and 90/150s at the back.

250 + 13mm arb at the front is softer (in roll) than 150 + 18mm, and when I tried it (with the std rear setup) gave a much better grip balance, with the understeer I was experiencing banished. It is great on bumpy roads, but IMHO too soft for the track.

I got some short springs from Caterham for the rear, and there was no problem fitting them, I just had to move the threaded collar onto a different groove on the damper body. I can't remember what length they were, 11" or 12" I think.

Jon

Edited by - jonhill on 13 Jan 2002 13:02:03