Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BHP Claims

James Saunders

The measurement is taken at the wheels then the transmission rolling losses are calculated = estimated flywheel bhp whilst also compensating for atmospheric pressure and air temperature .

This is why you can "gain" 10bhp by going to another rolling road , or pumping the tyres up to silly pressures or if you have people sat on the back of the car to maintain traction during the power run , if they leap off when calculating the coast down transmission losses then the bhp figure will increase compared to previous .

A synic would say that a dubious rolling road operator could distort the figures using the above to justify his cost of work .

This is why a sound comparison of power with caterhams and a like is done at Emerald in Brixton , Dave Walker knows his beans and has demonstrated consistent results which when compared to other reputable operators are very acurate .

And he is good value , plus the caff across the road does a top breakfast !! teeth.gif

Dave

Caff across the road is the first stop with Dave! I can vouch for the good value and he keeps the records of each car on his r/road for comparison, so you can see how yours compares to the best in bhp and torque across the rev range.

Agree with all the comments re Emerald and DW, but I believe the K in normal and supersport forms was calibrated in house by Rover on a dyno . I think the figures given will be those acheived during the dyno runs and wil *most definitely* be at the flywheel. The RR figures back these up pretty well.

Oily

James,

Suzuki do indeed quote BHP at the flywheel not the back wheel. Not that it matters in the case of the GSXR1000 as it is still the quickest thing on the road.

I sold mine in June as it was downright leathal. i just didn't have the self control to ride something that will hit 140 in 11 secs! Beautiful handling bike, but felt more at home in France than on our crappy roads.

Robbo

There is some degree of control over manufacturers methods of determining engine power within the test cell, as Elie states there are methodologies and calculations produced by DIN and SAE that are intended to compensate for atmosphic conditions at time of test and other variables such as fuel.

I know of no such controls for the after morket and there are many ways in which optimistic figures can be and are produced. Nobody complains when the figures are too high but will disparage the workshop that produces figures consistanty lower than others whether they be right or wrong.

Rover did a lot of work some years ago for the VHPD and SS K series engines in a cell at Longbridge that I visited a couple of times, I think, it was called the racing cell.

Any figures from that cell would have been produced with a proper power curve test sequence programmed into the controller and should have been published as corrected power. I'm not sure if they used DIN calculations, some companies use their own versions but all are similar.

The engine would have been fitted with water pump but probably not alternator. The rules are a bit unclear in some areas. Most modern engines have complicated multi-drive belts so you have to test with units such as steering pumps and sufficient circuitry to protect them from damage. The k series can be run without the alternator and probably was.