experience of similar project? My ground clearance is a

problem now (in & out trailer etc)

Speaking to the Quaife guys at the show yesrerday they

dont see any promlems.....6 bolts and a big wedge of cash

cash sir, and your off!

Any comments guys? Original box will then be `For Sale`

only 3100 miles fom new.

N1 JPE

I've got one, 5 speed overdrive top, 2.04 first, straight cut dog engagement. It fits fairly easily.

Biggest problem was the stick, it came out exactly where the old one did but the old one had a 30 deg bend in it bringing the knob back and down. The sequential knob doesn't have this bend and the knob was virtually touching the bottom of the dash. I got round this by shortening the stick, moving the reverse detent down the stick and shortening the nylon knobby bit. Works fine now.

At the show I noticed that they now offer a kit to move the stick back, approx 2 1/2 inch from guesstimate. I think I'd budget on needing this. Once mines back in the car I think I may well do this mod.

You don't get a reversing light switch or a speedo cable connection (although it looks like the casting has been designed to accomodate the driven gear and the output shaft is splined for the drive gear). Both of these can be sorted (switch on dash or no reverse light, bike speedo, stack or whatever) but be aware they're not included.

Other than that marvellous, superb change, really quick. Very noisy though! Go for it.

Thanks guys,I reckon it would take c.3seconds outof `busy`

sprints/hill climbs. Where did you get the other bits you needed?

My change has no bend on it now (original) but does get very

close to the dash...left hand bruises to prove it from Olivers

Mount hill climb last year.Do you know if the casing is any

deeper/lower than the std? Need to get this done before the

big Curborough battle(of the ego`s)at the club sprint...

N1 JPE

The casing is exactly the same depth as the original for one simple reason, it uses the standard ford five speed main case. The new bits are the bolt on bits on the back which are less deep than the main case so the ground clearance remains that due to the main casing.

One thing I did have to modify when fitting my six speed was the rear mount, it's too high at the front and fouls the rear of the casing, which is lower than the standard box. The 9" grinder sorted it out though.

Make sure you get the correct length input shaft for your engine, I had to shorten mine.

The gear stick problem was solved buy cutting it down and having an aluminium Knob machined up.

You should also consider the gear indicator, very usefull.

The up change is fantastic, I often find myself slowing right down unnecessarily behind trucks etc, just to go up through the box again.

Get it!

Thanks Arnie, this is starting to look a very expensive conversion.It sounds great..but we could`nt even get the

shift lights to work when we tried to fit them , this

sounds even worse. I like the competing, not too keen on the

`mechanics` time is the biggest problem. Any advise on a ----hot operation to do the work at a reasonable cost?

Hi Bernard,

At the Lotus show at Donnington a few years ago a company from Japan was offering a 6 speed sequential box for 2litre Vauxhall racing.

their detail are:-

Kaaz Corporation Okayama 704-8588 Japan

Telephone +81 86 942 1122

Facsimile +81 86 942 1126

I've lost your business card so if you e-mail your address I'll put a copy in the post

Or I'll be at the Crown and Cushion on Wednesday night

Borrowing a trailer

Regards

David Morrell

the not so light Superlight

Edited by - K16 TOY on 15 Jan 2002 20:57:32

Edited by - K16 TOY on 15 Jan 2002 21:00:52

.........and 'Glebe' Arnie

These boxes are new on the market and aren't cheap coming with drop gears, magnesium cases, pump lubrication and remote levers amongest other things. That said they are 'proper' sequential boxes capable of withstanding 450 ftlb of torque.

I'm toying with the idea of one with an electro magnetic power shift for the drag strip !

Tel 01782 594101

www.glebe.co.uk

Incidentally Quaife's lever extension was specifically designed for Caterham.

Edited by - edmandsd on 17 Jan 2002 09:42:19