Click here if you are having website access problems ×

indicators problem

debushau

While my Caterham is still relatively new (and unregistered), it seems to have developed an indicator problem which I need to cure before my US equivalent of the MOT.

The indicators seemed to be working ok until the left side went haywire a few days ago. Now when I indicate left, the front wing indicator comes on but not the underheadlamp indicator. The rear works fine on the left. The odd part is that the right hand side rear and underheadlamp indicators also operate! There appears to be power to the contact points on the left underheadlamp indicator but changing a bulb has not resulted in this working again (how does this indicator earth anyway?) Also, when I switch my headlamps on, the left indicator will not work at all.

There seems to be a systemic problem here - could it be a relay? Does the underheadlamp indicator need to be grounded separately (like the wing indicators)?

I have spliced in temporarily additional wing indicators at the front - for the US MOT - bit I dont think they are the cause.

thanks

Shane

Shane, does sound like a lack of an earth problem (probably to the rear lamp units).

Assuming there is only 1 earth problem I would firstly earth both metal frames within the REAR lamp units , with a wire to the battery earth. See if that helps, if not try earthing the front holders ...obviously test all the bulbs individually.

It is difficult to explain why by mail but with a missing earth at the rear the current will seek a route via the lamp frames / other bulbs / & eventually find the earth at the front indicator unit...... an auto electrician would understand.

Good luck, Mark.

( ex auto electrician... back in the 70's ! ).

Grounding into the headlamp bowls helped with getting the left underheadlamp indicator to work again. Didn't seem to make a difference at the rear. I also noticed that when I switch the headlamps on, the gauges no longer light up. The right underlamp indicator no longer lights up as a parking/driving light. I don't think it flashes either when the hazard lights are on.

Also, I noticed that when the headlights are on, the hazard lights don't work - is this normal? Perhaps my problem could be related to the hazard switch? Another anomaly is that the right side flashes at double speed even though no bulb is out.

Shane