Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Other VVCs

Slarty Blat Fast

I was just wondering, does the list know whether owners of VVC engined MGs and Elises use them for track days?

Do they also fit Apollo-type tanks or is it different for them as they have transversely mounted engines?

I know, I know, they don't go fast enough for it be a problem. But seriously tho'....

Slarty Blat Fasttongue.gif

They dont have oil handling problems, just oil temperature problems. my mates 111s elise sounds like a bag of spanners after 20 mins on track. My new VVC motor is the MGF ECD3 version. It has an oil temp sensor mounted under the oil filter to nobble the engine performance when it gets too hot. Of coarse the oil doesn't get that hot in a 7 so I've left the sensor out of the engine and bound it up out of the way.

I'm fitting an Apollo tank for now. I ordered it yesterday. Although I spoke to Pace today about a dry sump system today. Their system will be about £6-700. So its a lot cheaper than Caterhams. It'll probably work though.

Bob

" Oil doesnt get that hot " in a seven ..... I wouldnt be so sure Bob . Off the scale above 120degrees is not uncommon during track use .

With the appollo the temperature will be even hotter due to the hot air coming from the radiator , plus the bleed off of .5 psi . Everything is a comprimise ??!!

Tha pace set up wont be available till April , it does however feature 3 stage pump , std remote tank and does away with the existing oilpump , so some blanking work is required . Although the engine wont have to come out .

If its get hot on my first track day I've got an oil cooler waiting to go in.

I've asked this question before. An R500 owner told me that his oil only gets overly hot when following other cars (i.e. cuts the airflow through the engine bay slightly.

I thought the lack of dry sump on the VVC was due to aerated oil upsetting the VVC control mechanism.

BC

Edited by - bob corb on 13 Jan 2002 07:58:19