Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre Fitting -Red Dot

David Brown

I always thought the red dot was supposed to go on the opposite side to the valve as it was the heaviest part of the tyre! How wrong I am..

But basically no attention to the dot has ever been paid anywhere I have had tyres fitted.

• Support Team

Red dot is the high point of the tyre and should be lined up with the low point of the wheel (usually a notch or mark on the rim). If no red dot then the yellow dot represents the light spot of the tyre and should be aligned with the valve. This information from the Tyre Bible

The reason for this is to minimise the weights required to balance the wheels. I doubt any tyre fitters bother with either of these as they will just stick the tyre on the wheel and put it on the balancing machine.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've just ordered from George Polley as well this afternoon then read this.

How important is getting eveything lined up? Is it just a case of more or less weights on the wheels or does it affect handling, tyre wear etc?

Orange Superlight #53

As an ex-aircraft mechanic: the red dot is the lightest point of the tyre and the tyre should be mounted on the wheel with the red dot adjacent to the valve, which is the heaviest part of the wheel. After mounting the assembly is not balanced. These are large aircraft (B707, Tristar, B747 etc) tubeless tyres.

I've just done a quick Google check and both Goodyear and Yoko say the red dot is the tyre high point and should be mounted adjacent to the drill mark on the rim which is the wheel low point - this is to minimise radial run-out.

Other results mention that the red dot is the light point and should be adjacent to the inflation valve.

The mobile tyre fitter I use considers the red dot to be the lightest point too.

So I guess it's take-your-pick 😬 as usual.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)