Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Big brake kit - replacement disc info required

CageyH

Before I take the plunge, and order the big brake kit, I was wondering how often the discs need to be replaced.

Car is mainly road use with spirited driving. Fitting the kit to improve the brake balance.

Occasional track use will be seen in the near future, and if I enjoy it, it will become more frequent *cool*

So, how often would I need to fork out £250 for new discs? Rough mileage estimate, or number of track days will suffice.

• Support Team

Well I have the originals still on after nearly 30k miles and several trackdays and they do not look like they will need replacing anytime soon. I guess if you use harder or more abrasive pads then the answer might be different. I am using whatever the standard issue from Caterham is (Mintex 1144??)

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Area Representative

CageyH

If all you want to do is improve the balance, why not just change the front pads? I assume your rears lock before the fronts, which is quite normal, but undesireable, on a standard RoadSport. Fitting Mintex 1144 pads in standard calipers, with standard rear pads works well - much cheaper than big brakes!

I already have M1144 in the front, and the back still has a tendency to try and overtake the front.

Not nice. Another option would be a brake bias valve.

It is part of an upgrade plan to make the car handle better and stop quicker/better before fitting a more powerful engine.

Why don’t you have a look at making a Brake Pressures Balance Valve as well? In this way you can set up the balance perfectly for you car.

Have a look at Dave Andrew's website here. There is a downloadable sheet that tells you how to make it all for about £20 whereas the commercially available ones are said to be around £150.

I will be making one over the next couple of weeks. It looks simple enough. *thumbup*

Also if you have not converted to a quick shift gear lever, Dave also shows you how to do this of about £2!!

I converted mine oh it must be a couple of years ago using Dave’s method and have been delighted with it. Much shorter throw = faster changes saving those all important thousandths of a second at the traffic lights grand Prix 😬

Seriously it really does improve the change.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here