Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emerald Duratec Mapping

Dobuy

OK, I finally have all the bits I need to start mapping. Emerald has supplied me with a new beta version of the V2 mapping software, that allows me to use the AUX input tables (last one didn't). As an aside it seems that the new software and latest version of hardware Will allow self mapping, once all the bugs are ironed out.

The Emerald is installed and talking nicely to and logging the Innovate LC1 wideband 02 sensor. AMMO and RobG have sent me a couple of Duratec maps, while Rob's is closer to my (anticipated) 270bhp spec, I believe it is not sequential, however, Ammo's 226 bhp one is.

So heres the first few questions.....

1: Is it worth me scaling the injectors and/or fuel pressure for my bigger 310cc ones & 3.7 bar fuel pressure regulator, bearing in mind I have no idea what ones AMMO originally used for his 226bhp engine or should I simply ignore this page and make changes based on my LC1 output and Chris Good's fuel fiddler program?

2: Also is their any point in playing with the MSPB setting?

3: Can you tell the difference between a Sequential and batched injection map, by looking at the FIG files?

4: Are there any other obvious changes I should make to the map set-up (because of the more powerful engine) before getting into the finer adjustments?

Cheers,

Neil.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

1) I would have thought you HAD to do this?

3) Doesn't it say when you load the map, i.e. show sequential enabled?

4) 270 vs 220 is a big difference, probably better off using Rob Walker's map?

Sounds scary to me - is there really no rolling road within a few hundred miles? For just a few hours work on the dyno they can do such a great job, and you don't have to worry about potentially blowing the engine up. Besides - I would have thought it was hard to map the engine at the top end on the road!

Hi Rob, I ended up getting the Cosworth fuel rail and injectors from Burton Power (slightly more expensive than Cosworth but good delivery to Dubai). This has the Bosch green 0280 155 968 injectors that flow 310cc/min at 3bar. Should be OK for my needs, according to Cosworth they have been tested at 300bhp.

Danny, no doubt a rolling road with a good operator would be optimal, however, finding a good operator in Dubai..... No problems finding lots of straight roads for high speed testing though. As to using Rob's map, I do not know if the sequential/batched maps have different fuelling requirements

It may come to that Danny. My first attempts at whipping a map into shape were frustrating. I don't know if it is because of the difference caused by my new injectors, but every map I have tried is way out, virtually all the injector settings had to be drastically reduced to get the thing to run cleanly. This has been further exacerbated by the Emerald software I am using (and need to, due to firmware). As it is not logging the voltage output from the LC1 properly, even though it is showing the correct AFR on the live adjustment page.

This means I cannot use Chris Goods fuel fiddler, as it relies on a correct voltage to make its calculations.

Looks like I will have to wait for Karl to email me a solution.

Danny, I am way to cheap to fly someone out *tongue* However if someone wants free accommodation in Dubai and feels like doing a bit of mapping in their spare time....

Anyone know what AFR I should be targeting for, the new emerald software now has a AFR page which is nominally set at 12.5, but I think this might be a bit rich?

Edited by - Dobuy on 23 Feb 2006 07:56:02

Finally managed to get Chris Good's software to run properly. Not Chris's fault, the version of Emerald software I am using is not the one Chris wrote his program to speak to. With a bit of help from Karl from Emerald, I have managed to get the correct output from the logger.

The single biggest difference has been scaling the map to suit my new injectors. Using a map supplied by Luke Beaumont, I scaled it to suit the bigger Cossie injectors and it is now pretty close. So hopefully just a matter of going out on the road and trying to refine it using Chris's software.