Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mounting Webers

Robster

I have recently removed the inlet manifold from my Xflow SS, to remove the engine. I have noticed that whilst the exhaust primary pipes are their usual black colour inside, cylinder 3 exhaust deposits appear much lighter, suggesting and air leak (jets, air jets all the same for all cylinders).

Webers are mounted onto the inlet manifold using 'O' rings to seal them and flexible rubber bushes that allow some movement of the carbs, but I don't know how to tighten the bushes up and be sure to seal the 'O' rings yet still retain some movement on the carbs? Evidently last time I did it, I was still letting some air leak past an 'O' ring on cylinder 3. Can someone please give me an idea of how to mount these carbs back on.

Thanks

Robster

There has been some previous discussion on this topic, before Christmas, so try a search.

What I did, was to tighten the bolts the same ammount, did them up, until the two brass cups were just about meeting, with the rubber washers inside. I made sure that the gap between the carbs and the manifold was equal all around. I wouldn't shake the carbs up and down too much as a check, as this can break the inlet manifold seal with the head, and cause a water leak.

Once they are on, check to see if they are leaking, by squirting WD40 around the seal, if revs rise, then you have a leak - tighten up a little and try again.

Good luck with the inlet manifold, took me three attempts to get it to be water tight. Also be careful when putting the manifold back on, the bolts shear real easy!!

Hi Robster, the carb mounts you have should be tightened until 1mm gap exists between the two cup washers, this is when the rubbers are new, after some years of being fitted the rubber bobbins may have deteriorated, so this figure may have to be "adjusted", but don't tighten them until they touch. Nigel.