Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine cut out

hirondel

Hello chaps/Chapettes,

I took the Supersprint for a spin this morning (the first time in 3 weeks-shame!)and it ran it's usual chirpy self until about a mile from home where upon it began to behave as though it were 'stone-cold' ie, it wouldn't rev freely and the revs dropped (at idle) from it's habitual 900 to @ 400. After stopping and opening the garage door, the engine cut-out on me and would not start and I mean completely would not start (as though I'd disconnected the HT leads) although the engine was turning over quite freely. Unfortunately because of work I haven't been able to look under the bonnet yet but it strikes me as an 'electrical failure'. Would anyone care to share thoughts or comments?

Appreciatively your's,

Simon

If the car is absolutely standard Caterham, have a look at the rotor arm under the distributer cap. These were notorious for falling to pieces as they were of a design that was not meant to run at the revs Caterhams were using them at. If its broke Caterham can still supply you with one, but many other people simply replaced the distributor with a better one.