Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ZF diff & MOT

Beelzebub

Under the section of transmition (Prop-shaft) brakes - Mechanical Parking

To avoid possible damage, the parking brake efficiency requirement should be calculated using the appropriate vehicle weight before the brake is tested.

Testing of the brake should cease as soon as the minimum efficiency requirement is reached when progressively applying the brake.

Looks good for a NormanV style brake.

Nick

Cars are now tested on the rollers irrespective of if they have a ZF diff. New instructions have been issued to SVA and Mot stations telling them to test as no damage will occur to the diff. I of course protested but had to allow the test or go home without the certificate. The only chance you have now is set your exhaust box very low so that it will foul the floor when on the rollers, they have no answer for this YET. 😬

Graham - the calibrated brick is still kept carefully in a nice wooden box in each of the two places I've used recently - with the integrale I always mention that if they want to test it on the rollers, they can pay to have it fixed afterwards . . . . neither have argued and simply gone up the road with it.

At the slow speed the rollers run at, with a two wheel drive car, I can't see any problems - but my normal MOT place reckoned the book suggested not testing, as the diff would interfer with the reading . . .

Bri

Can't see why a lsd shouldn't be on a brake tester as long as the rollers are both turning.

But noticed this:

Vehicles certified by the London Science Museum as being designed before 1 January 1905 and constructed before 31 December 1905 do not require a parking brake

Now where's that Tipex.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

my mot station tests both wheels on one axel at the same time so I think I must be missing a point here but I can't see why that would be a problem - it would just be like driving in a straight line.

When I used to take a subaru there, they used a box in the passenger footwell.