Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting uprated front brakes - anything to consider?

Nick VVC

I'm fitting uprated from brakes to my K Series. It's been a while (OK I admit it, about 15 years or more) since I did anything more than basic maintenace & polishing.

Is there anything I show think about/things to beware/special tools required/new curses to learn?

Thanks

Nick

I fitted up J. Whiting Alcon front brake upgrade.

Job is a doddle, no special tools required.

Easily done in half a day

Worst bit is bleeding the things once you have finished as you have to bleed both back and front brakes and that requires jacking the car up to take off the rear wheels to get at the bleeders, and the new calipers have 2 bleeders each caliper instead of one, so even more bleeding to be done.

But dont worry the job is easy.

i FITTED THE jw KIT AND AM VHAPPY WITH IT. Two things - bleeding the rears is important and takes ages as did the front for me. You might as well change the fluid at the same time- I did. Pedal feel is now realy good. Also - if you start to really use the brakes (I was told by a friend that you press them as hard as you can then keep pressing harder, then press harder still. That was prtty accurate as a statement. However, once I started oing this I realise dI needed to uprate my front springs as the car nosedived (92 suspension opn 170lb springs) so you might bear this in mind. Other than that the change is dead easy.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Following an engine upgrade (upto up around 200 bhp) during 2001 I have now also replaced the brake master cylinder with Caterham's upgraded one.. I now have a rock hard pedal and marvellous brakes once the pads have warmed up (using EBC Yellow Stuff pads; even when they are cold they are good.

Look back on previous threads, this has been discussed in some detail. Silicon is not compatable with normal fluids and is known to not be friendly to any rubber components in the braking system. It is also very expensive. However, in some applications it is still recomended, but I don't think that applies to road cars though. It is important to distinguish between dot 5.0 (silicon) and 5.1 (ordinary polyglycol) fluids. Usually the higher the number the higher the boiling point. (The dot bit is the USA standard) However, I notice Castrol only claim their fluids as being dot 4 yet they have a higher boiling point than some other manufacturers dot 5.1's, so its a confusing area. I guess quality is what counts.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 16 Jan 2002 07:16:29