Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mobile 'Phone Security (not Seven related as such; unless you've broken down)

CHRIS CLARK

Not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but all mobile phones have a unique 15-digit IMEI number.

This can be accessed by keying in *#06#

If your phone gets stolen and recovered (yeah, right) then the Plod can check its number against your written down one and return itthumbsup.gif

Well I didn't know that!

When I was given this info, I was told that they (the network providers)could all lock down handsets with this handset id number. Orange have confirmed this week that they can.

Downside is that apparently there are certain people that can unlock it sad.gif. Going rate is apparently a tenner.

Mike

They can lock the sim card in a couple of seconds.

To lock the hand set is a little more difficult, it requires the AuC to bar that particular IMEI access to the HLR, the problem is this data has to go accross to all 4 networks, and not all networks use an AuC, so it would not be barred. I think most do in the UK but not in other countries.

Now the question is are they sharing this data, I doubt it!

Also 121 and Orange have a slight advantage as the 121 and Orange handsets will only work on their network as they use PCS technology and Voda and BTC are GSM.

I think the problem is they are not really that bothered about stolen phones...

X777CAT

I posted this yesterday on another thread, but I think this a far better place for it...

On the subject of baffling technology, I have come across this is the user-guide for a mobile phone:

"...from the standby-screen press B by pressing the soft key; scroll down to 'C*****t' by using the navigation key then scroll to the right; scroll down to 'help line' by using the navigation key and press the phone icon. You may now report your phone stolen.''

Edited by - tony pashley on 10 Jan 2002 10:42:14

• Area Representative

According to a mobile 'phone industry or company representative on the news the other evening, the IMEI's aren't unique. There are legitimate duplicates.