Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo calibration

Henry Crun

My speedo has given up the ghost, so I'm going to have to repair it. However, I know that it reads well over speed, indicating 85mph when doing only 70moh. I understnad this to be related to the cog at the gearbox end of the drive, but how do I found out which is the right cog for me??

If your speedo is really dead, why not go for the VDO electronic speedo which has the same diameter then the old one. You can connect the electronic speed sensor to the speedo cable.

The nice thing is that you can calibrate the speedo yourself.

There are some threads on the list so search for speedo to get more.

Klaus

Tinbum, not going rusty are you, well anyway about your speedo question, the two previous replies are possibly the easiest means of regaining an accurate speed indication, as the speedo drive gear is usually a right bastard to remove, if not impossible without removing the gearbox from the car, the gear you require is determined from the axle ratio:-

Axle ratio Speedo drive gear Colour

3.54:1 22 teeth White

3.62:1 24 Black

3.64:1 22 White

3.77:1 23 Black

3.89:1 24 Green

3.92:1 24 Black

4.11:1 25 Blue

The above is good if you have a speedo calibrated at 1000 turns to the mile, and are using a Ford gearbox, if you have a de Dion axle your speedo would be calibrated at 1100 turns to the mile and the axle ratio would be 3.62:1, hope this is some help, Nigel.

• 2 weeks later...

Also note that tyre size is a minor factor in speedo gearing as diameters vary by about 15% between the largest (205/45-16) and smallest (20" slick) sizes used on 7s.

If you let me know your tyre size/final drive/speedo type, I can advise the appropriate gear.

I wasn't sure about my speedo accuracy so I tried the bike computer route, and because you can calibrate it so accurately by setting in the wheel rolling circumference, you can get it pretty close. It turned out my speedo seemed to be pretty accurate, until you got up above 85mph. After that it seemed to under read by a touch. (tested on a few trackdays, officer!)

Speedy Cables have movedblush.gif

Cables and control systems are in Wales somewhere. Instruments are in Herts somewhere. I posted something to this effect a while back. If I can find it in the archives, I'll re-post the info.

Found it..........

Speedy Cables have moved.

Head office, and cable division, is now at

unit 14, Merchant Drive

Hertford SG13 7AZ

01992 581600

Instrument Division

Abercrave

Swansea

SA9 1SQ

01639 732213

Edited by - Blatman on 22 Jan 2002 10:05:37