Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

caterham 8 spoke wheels crap powder coating

tiddy1

I have just taken my rear wheels off to find that the caterham powder coating is falling off by the shed load. These are the 8 spoke wheels and only about 18 months old.

Why can't caterham ever do anything properly as opposed to cheaply

Simon

Simon

Sorry to hear of your problems however, I really think you should speak with Caterham first before posting on here. Remember they do not produce the wheels and are dependant on their suppliers and I think it is unfair to criticise them without giving them the opportunity to deal with your complaint.

Spanner

That's interesting.

I bought them about that time and so far they have been great.

Only had one small chip that I have touched in - easy as it's a solid/dark colour.

I had had enough of all the lacquered polished rims that get the smallest of chips and then go white behind the lacquer and look crap in just weeks/months.

Perhaps a preparation fault or bad batch? Others had problems?

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 13 Feb 2006 09:58:25

The powder coating had got chipped/ scratched and then the water, salt and frost has just lifted all the coating off. I don't have the time or the patients to try and get them sorted via caterham so a couple of coats of etch primer and gloss black will do the job.

I do not seem to be having much luck with paint as the paint along the bottom edge of the side panels has several bubbles where water has lifted it off and corroded the side skins.

these were new skins painted by TSK 3 years ago

Simon

So not exactly Caterham or the wheel manufacturers fault then - a little bit of TLC when it happened and . . .

Same for the side skins . . .

Damage any coating, let water get in and it will travel behind the good looking coating causing all sorts of problems.

My 2001 car has survived, snow, salt, off-roading, brake dust, two long european trips blasting everywhere, the back roads here covered in grit, mud, funny-smelling brown stuff (at, least it smells funny when if flies off the front wheels and past your head to impact the roll bar . . ) - paint intact, wheel coatings intact . . . the only damage being where it rolled into the garage door handle two years ago . . clear duct tape seems to be doing a good job . . . 😬

(Can't see it from the drivers seat anyway . . .)

Bri

Bri

I take your point but If a stone chip on the bonnet of my wifes tintop lead to all the paint falling off then I would be rather dissapointed.

as for the side skins there is no visable chips just bubbles of water

There is TLC and TLC

Simon