Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

3rd gear crunch when changing down from 4th???

Little Bill

Been looking through the archives and have seen various problems up-changing from 2nd to 3rd, but mine crunches and can be difficult to engage on the 4th to 3rd downchange. (It's a 6 speed box)

If I'm taking it gently it's fine, but when pushing on it's quite bad unless I double de-clutch. (A blip on the downchange doesn't stop the crunch either!)

Is it my 3rd gear synchro or a lubrication issue *eek*. ?

Is this gonna be expensive *confused* ?

How old is it, some 6 speeds exhibited this problem in their early life but then bedded in OK mine did it in its first 6mths but now 9yrs later is like a knife through butter. So don't be too hasty.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents. www.onthelimiter.com

Yes agree *arrowup* with the not be too hasty there is an oil additive for gearboxes - I cant think of it at the mo but it works wonders with this type of Minor problem..........I think its by STP....... *mad* cant think of its name *mad*

Dodge Viper Blue R300 a thing of beauty is a ...............you know

Car is a 1999 plate with 12,500 miles, I bought it privately in Sept 05' with 10,300 on the clock *wink*. It's only been doing it the last 500 miles (couple of months).

Come to think about it, the car has recently been living outside with a cover over it (having an extension built). Could it be due to the gearbox and oils getting up to their operating temperature??

My 6 speed was fitted in 2000 and I reckon has only done about 5000miles.

The gearchange was good when hot, but baulked badly from 1st to 2nd and was generally notchy when cold.

Just refilled it with Redline MTL and is transformed 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup*

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO and it's been rebuilt here

I left the gearbox in place after removing the engine which enabled easy access to remove the gearbox top cover.

It was straightforward enough then to refill to the level of the filler plug obviously ensuring that the gearbox casing was in the same position as if the engine was fitted.

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO and it's been rebuilt here