Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Willwood Brakes?

philwaters

Any one got any good or bad experiance of this brake kit for the front of a 7? I know both the Alcon and the AP ones are good, just considering all the options really - but the Willwood ones are also cheaper than both the other 2.

Any good kits I have not spotted yet?

Need to sell my X/flow before I can buy though sad.gif

Phil Waters

1600 X/flow - soon to be 2000 Zetec wink.gif

I have read that they lack the dust seals and this is swaying me away from them - but they are a fair bit cheaper than the Alcons, around £485 for the kit with new vented discs and billet calipers... will try to have a look at the show and find out what is involved in the cleanin - like how often?

The long pedal I am sure is down to the master cylinder issue. Can anyone confirm this? I assume that if/when you upgrade to 4-pots that they have a bigger X-section and so pedal movement results in a smaller piston movement - thus you have a longer pedal. Changing to the racing cylinder from Caterham compensates for this and gives you the nice solid pedal.... Is that right or am I a complete wally? No better no answer that last bit teeth.gif

Phil Waters

I have these calipers ( dynalyte ) along with EBC turbo groove disks on my live axle (155bhp Xflow). The calipers themselves are fine and work OK with the standard cylinder although recently I have fitted an uprated master cylinder which gives a better pedal but needs a bit more effort.

Originally I used EBC Greenstuff but found that they wear quickly and loose all their bite after one track day, ter that the feroo DS2000 got a chance, the first set were good but the second where trashed after a single track day, the surface seemed to break up.

I spoke to a supplier who recommended a new ferodo pad the DS2500 which has a high friction rating and where specifically developed for light cars and are supposed to be much better then the DS2000.

The only problem I have with the cailpers is the range of pads available from different manufacturers, so far only I've only found EBC and Ferodo who do pads for them altough there may be more.

It depends what you intend to use them for. For mostly track work I would look for a caliper which will take say Pagids (RS42 or RS14 I think ).These are without doubt the best pads I've ever tried. In fact two of my friends use them in the standard Girling two pots and their brakes are better then mine on 4 pots!!. I used them on my Elise 190 and you could muller them all day and they would not fade a jot, they are also very difficult to lock up having been developed as an antilock pad for touring cars. They're steep at ~£120 an end but well worth it IMHO!.

I'd ring around the various suppliers and see who makes pads for the various calipers then decide. I think the pads are the important bits, not the calipers.

I've run them for over a year now and haven't had any probs but like I said what out for pad avilability.

If you are only goin to use them on the road then the Greenstuff will be fine and at only £22 a shot from Sejoc they're dirt cheap

Hope this helps

Graham

Thanks Graham,

I do not use the car on track, although this will no doubt change with the new engine dying to be used!

Can I ask how much maintenace you have to carry out on the calipers due to the lack of seals? If it is only once a year then I am happy to do this.

The cost saving with the Willwoods would allow me to get the master cylinder at the same time for the same cost of the Alcons.

Phil Waters

IIRC the Alcons don't have dust seals either!

This is a decryption of the comment on James Whiting's site:

As the ALCON and A.P calipers are made to race specification, high mileage and vehicles used in adverse conditions, inspection of the calipers during the vehicles routine servicing for corrosion and cleaning of the pistons is recommended.

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 10 Jan 2002 13:34:47

Just taken delivery of a big brake upgrade from Hi-Spec Motorsport. The kit included:

2 x Gold (or black) anodised 4-pot billet callipers

2 x vented grooved 260mm discs

2 x Braided steel brake pipes

1 x Set Green Stuff pads

1 x Fitting kit for Caterham (bolts & brackets)

...and they are fully dust sealed.

Looks the absolute dogs doodahs! All for £450 + VAT

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Just waiting for the nice man from DHL to deliver new front brake kit from Hi Spec, so will be able to post a report in 10 days or so.

Specs are, 280MM grooved solid discs with aluminium bells (centres), slimline billet calipers, and Mintex 1144 pads. They should provide powerfull braking with more "feel" due to the bigger diameter discs, and be lighter than the current standard set up. I went this way because while I need better brakes, I did not want to pay the weight penalty of vented discs. Hi spec say this set up will fit inside My 13" Image rims. The standard master cylinder will be used initially.

Cost was 571.00 which is OK considering you get neww discs as well. Uk residents would of course have to pay the FAT of the land on top of that.

For the record, my 'long pedaal' was crrectly diagnosed over the phone by James W as my having not sufficiently bled the rear brakes. Once bled the pedal is exactly as before except that I can modulate them more easily - for other, I fitted the Alcon kit and find it really cool.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Checked at the show:

AP, Alcon both fit wiper seals and then a secondary seal behind this.

Hi-Spec fit the big boot type of seal.

Willwood do not fit any seals.

Not sre if it makes any difference on a looked after type of car like the 7 - but good to know.

Phil Waters

• 3 weeks later...

Robster,

I am just fitting my HiSpec Billet 4 callipers and 260mm discs. All looks OK at the moment. Unfortunately I will not get to test them for a few weeks cos of concurrent engine mods.

Will report back.

I saw on this thread that Mike Biddle was fitting the slimline callipers & 280mm discs. This, I am told is more of a racing set-up to allow the larger discs but the penalty, as I understand it, is that the callipers are NOT fully dust sealed a la the Billet 4's. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong about that please.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Steve, you are correct, the calipers I am fitting are do not have outer dust seals, but Hi spec say that cleaning is only required when replacing worn pads, prior to pushing the pistons back into the caliper, so I think I can live with that.

Fast Westie, The 280MM discs I am fitting are solid, no need for vented ones.

Robster, the discs and calipers fit under my 13" rims.

The weight saving over the standard 240MM discs and calipers is 1KG each side.

The car is still in the shop because I have been away for acouple of weeks, so my report will follow in a week or two.

Mike.

Edited by - Mike Biddle on 8 Feb 2002 11:04:07

Missed this the first time round...

> AP, Alcon both fit wiper seals and then a secondary seal

> behind this

The latest black AP calipers probably do have a dust seal as they are from AP's uprated road range. The older silver calipers don't as they are from the racing range. That said mine (older silver type) have been on for 4 or 5 years and apart from a quick annual clean up with brake clearner and a toothbrush I haven't touched them and have not experienced any problem.

For a pampered car like the Caterham I wouldn't worry about whether or not there are dust seals. For a 30,000 mile per year in all weathers buried deep inside the wheel arch of a saloon car type of application then I might be more concerned.