Click here if you are having website access problems ×

x-flow clutch advise

Klaus Loske

Hi all,

I have a 91 de-dion with 1700+ X-flow and Sierra 5-speed box.

I would like to install a cerametallic clutch, has anybody done that before and give some advise on parts.

Which cerametallic clutch plate would I need to fit my drivetrain? AP? Any part number?

Is it adviseable to use the cerametallic plate with the standard uprated clutch cover?

Has anybody installed a concentric slave cylinder (AP?) for hydraulic clutch actuation? Is it a straight forward bolt in job? Any part number?

Thanks for your help!

Klaus

In my 93 de-dion 1800 x-flow I ran a cerametallic paddle with a standard uprated clutch (AP) several years ago and it worked fine. I will look out the part number later today but it was a 4 paddle as opposed to the more common 3 paddle and it was very expensive, about £120 I think 8 or 9 years ago. After approx. 2000 miles including probably 20 sprints/hillclimbs it was about half worn but the cover had quite deep groves in it meaning that it would need replacing at the same time as the plate. It was virtually undetectable on the road, a little noiser but not too sudden. I replaced the whole lot with a 7 1/4" AP clutch and appropriate flywheel, great on the hills but a bugger on the road. I ran either a standard caterham or longer type release bearing as approriate, I looked at changing to hydraulic but the answer I got at the time was don't bother. Why are you wanting to change clutch and actuation method?

Paul

don´t flame me, but I simply like the feel of the cerametallic clutch....

Once had a Renault 5GT Coupe ane the on/off feeling of the clutch was really cool... and it keeps people from wanting to drive the car... ;-)

When I bought my Caterham it was equiped with a hyraulic clutch. It is one of those blue hydraulic actuators which mounts instead of the cable into the release arm of the clutch. It still works quite nicely but I guess this set-up was discontinued by Caterham so I am looking into alternatives to replace the unit eventually.... so while I am at it...

Thanks

Klaus

Is your car LHD? This may be why it has an hydraulic clutch, thats my guess anyway. As far as I know (and someone will probably correct me here) cable operation has always been standard in this country with a x-flow and type 9 combination but my pedal box has the provision to take the clutch master cylinder.

Paul

Yes, it is a LHD.

When I purchased it, I had the option to either have a clutch cable or the hydraulic actuator.

The system works quite smooth. Never had a problem with it.

The hydraulic actuator is quite unique becaues it is pulling the clutch and not pushing.

Rgds.

Klaus