Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Your opinion please

Fred Stegeman

Hi everyone,

I was offered a Caterham, unassembled, new, and wanted to know if this was a good deal. (excuse the bad English, i'm Dutch)

Caterham 1999 HPC VX ?? with 2 engines, 1 x C20XE injection and 1 x double Weber.

AP high performance clutch

AP high performance brakes

Whitepower shocks

Quaife torque bias differntial

Dry sump oil system

One set 16 " wheels with Michelin tires

One set 13 " wheels "Minitile" with mit slicks

Leather seats

The price is about 15.000 pound

Next question, i'm about 1,93 meter, will i fit in there ??? i know no one who drives a Caterham, and thought that this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for your time.

Fred Stegeman

Fred,

1.93M...I think this makes you 6 foot 4. People of such height have certainly got Caterhams, many recommend the bench, or thin glassfibre, seats to give more leg room.

I have used double adjustable Whitepower shocks on a few motorcycles and these are of a quality much higher than most car shocks, and fully rebuildable, so sound good.

I dont have the experience to comment on the VX motor but expect a metro engine user to come along soon to help in this regard. smile.gif

Mark

With 2 sets of wheels, 2 engines and components such as an AP clutch it may have been a sprint or trackday race project.

If it is all new, I suppose it is not far off about right.

What about the gearbox? and try to get more details on the clutch.

The dry sump system, is it Caterhams own? (built into the bellhousing)

I am assuming it is a complete kit with all ancilliaries inc exhaust.

Good luck

Depending on how long your legs are you'll almost certainly need a thin (there are 2 or 3 variants) bench seat or to sit on the floor (perhaps with a very thin foam seat made for you).

It's also worth putting the pedals on the farthest stop and having a QR wheel to aid ingress/egress.

If you do this I'm sure you'll find it one of the most comfy cars you've ever driven. You will need ear plugs for long trips with the doors on though as the wind smacks you right in the right ear (or left if it's LHD).

Fred

I am just under 6ft 4in and have had my caterham just under a year, I thought i would have real problems, so the pedals are on the farthest setting and I have a quick release wheel just to aid slipping in easier!

I haven't experienced much restriction on the road or track. If you go for it have fun!

Dan