Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Soon to be auctioned

johnchapple

I'm Mark.

Yes either the R1 or my Jubile 7 have to go to pay for the rebuilt of my series 2 basketcase sad.gif, but if they both went I could have 2 series 2 basketcasessmile.gif.

The R1 was on the "for sale" section here in autumn along with a BM 1150GS.

The BM sold stright away and paid for the basket case.

I'll try and bring it back up.

As the mother sparrow said to her offspring.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the feedback I've had on this car has been: 'they' would take it bach to a series 2.

Whether this is the best thing to do, I don't known, or even practical. But (IMO) the original series 2 was NOT a very nice car for a Lotus seven! Rear visibility with the original (canvas!) hood was very restricted (just a single small window). Instrumentation put the speedometer right over on the passenger side. No petrol guage and the filler was in the boot! No front indicators. As a original 105E my seven was not fitted with an electric radiator fan! The 3.5x13" wheels did not exactly give great grip. The standard rear axle gave problems unless wired and fitted with the bracing plate (even then it still was prone to leaking).

ETC!

>So whats the reserve then??

>Each bid below reserve wastes 200 bytes of space on >E-bays servers and I feel you should be sensitive to >this.

I was wracked with guilt and remorse as I started the auction at £1, but then it look only seven bids to get to £3100!, then I felt better

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the auction's finally ending today Saturday, this evening. The car still hasn't reached the reserve price, which, it turns out was quite reasonable. Apparently the book price for a series 2 Lotus Seven for restoration is £5000.

Anyway according to the mail I've been receiving there are quite a number of 'lurkers' who haven't yet bid.

The car's been visited by quite/a very? well known person in the seven world. He accompanied a potential bidder. I'm not revealing his name to anyone, but besides being of similar vintage (!) he has one other thing in common with me! He, obviously, has a good idea of the condition of the car.

The purpose of this mail is last minute info. I've put my answers to mailed questions here:

http://www.anonimouse.btinternet.co.uk/lotus/newinfo.htm

for those who might be interested.

Didn't reach reserve price :-(

An undistinquished four number two letter reg plate on a wreck is worth £3000!

This isn't a wreck and it *is* a real Lotus seven.

Oh well, if anyone's actually interested in buying this car, I'd be interested in their REASONABLE offers, up to this evening (Sunday), mail me at jhlc@btinternet.com

Edited by - johnchapple on 10 Feb 2002 07:38:04

>So what happened, I hope you finally had a >realistic bid, I just wish I had more money

Don't we all?

Poor you, not a penny to your name :-)

It *is* sold. I waited for about twenty four hours after the auction, but none of you tight fisted lot came up with a decent wedge!, so I sold it to someone who at least was prepared to meet me some way and had made the effort to see the car.

Obviously, there is quite a bit more talk here, not so much action!

I'm glad you managed to sell your car, it looked good. I can't see where you are coming from, giving the guys on the board a hard time, just because they didn't want to buy your car. If that's that type of bloke you are, glad I didn't do business with you!!

>I can't see where you are coming from, giving the >guys on the board a hard time, just because they >didn't want to buy your car.

My remarks weren't supposed to be taken seriously, sorry if anyone was offended. I wouldn't have *minded* a little discussion on the subject, after all, although I'm not a regular contributor to this forum, driving a seven for quite a while in the old days, you know a bit about them -but *not* anything about current market prices.

>If that's that type of bloke you are, glad I didn't >do business with you!!

Well, that's OK then

>John, try using the emoticons (under"faq") - that way there's no doubt about whether you're serious or not....

Too newfangled give me ascii 'emoticons anytime' :-)

>About 15 years ago I got very close to buying a series 2 virtually the same spec as yours in Aylesbury....for £1,000....those were the days!

Too late! 40 years ago, now *those* were the days, when you could go through London in a Seven making the sort of noise Lotuses used to make in those days without anyone turning a hair!.

regards