Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stud length for new Caterham 8 spoke wheels

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I have fitted the rear wheels now after some fettling of the De-Dion tube. However, I am not entirely happy with the length of wheel stud protruding through the new wheels.

Does anyone know if the new 8 spokes are thicker than the old KN Minataurs?

Do all new cars have longer studs?

Should I fit longer studs? If so what is involved.

Thanks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

I noted on Adrian's car that the stud length seemed too short, probably only 7 turns to tighten nut, Caterham assured him it was OK and they haven;t fallen off in the Year or more I've known him.

I've always worked on the 1.5 x diameter(I read on here was good practice) so 18mm of thread protruding, new studs are cheap (Autocross in Wokingham do them as does G Polley) only downside is having to strip the hubs to fit.

Mark

• Support Team

I thought that might be the case. I really don't want to replace the studs if possible as I haven't actually driven the car this year ☹️ and just want it back on the road. Rear wheels are fitted but I still need to raise the ride height at the front to fit the new fronts (gone from A048Rs to CR500s) and if I can do that on Saturday I might actually get to drive the car on Sunday. The new engine has been in for over 2 months and I still haven't given it full throttle 😳.

I will check carefully how many turns the wheel nuts make and if it is 7 turns I'll live with it for the time being.Cheers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've just gone from 15" prisoners to 13" minators, and the standard studs are too short - only 6 turns to fully tighten the nuts, which is only 9mm on a 12mm dia stud.

Shaun - I share your frustration. I too have yet to experience full throttle on the new engine despite having had it set up at emerald on 9 December. First of all oil surge issues (with pileups too *eek*), so fitted DS system, and now I've just had to order longer studs from CC which I need to fit.... The list of tasks goes on!!

Dave

Minimum rec is thread length of 1.5 X the diameter of the stud.

Shorter than this and I would def replace them with longer studs. Not such a bad job.

You have to split the discs and hubs.

Best to grind off a socket so that it's square and bites well (5/8" from memory) for undoing the disc to hub bolts as they have shallow heads...

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

• Support Team

Thanks for the advice. I can't even use the old wheels as the tyres are down to the wear bars (and some *eek*).

Daft thing is that I have 13" Minataurs and they are fine - really annoyed that the new wheels are thicker still. It was bad enough having to attack the De-Dion tube ends with an angle grinder but this is getting ridiculous.

And why don't Caterham parts tell you this stuff when you order the new wheels? A few simple questions as to what car you are fitting them to and you could order all the parts you need in one go!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 8 Feb 2006 12:27:24

Stuart, so how many turns to full tight would that be?

I bought some Superlite Ultralites and with my standard studs there's only 4.5 turns, I checked my standard 8 spoke CC wheels and I think they were only about 6-7 turns. I asked Simon Lambert and he seemed to think 4.5 - 5 turns was OK *confused*

I don't understand this 1.5 * stud diameter rule of thumb, surely many nuts used in the suspension are less than 1.5 * the bolt diameter *confused*

Shaun - are you also using the CC wheel nuts for the 8 spoke or are you reusing the Minataurs ones?

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

That 'RULE' is in the 2006 MSA blue book J 20.7.2

"Have all nuts securing road wheels, excepting those of centre-lock type, of steel and in thread contact over a minimum length of 1 1/2 bolt/stud diameters".

It has been the same since my first Blue book in 2002.

Wheel nuts are far more likely to come off then most other types of nuts - left hand side wheels esp. Other critical nuts are threadlocked or nyloc'd.

More thread = more frictional contact *thumbup*

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 8 Feb 2006 15:23:24

Hmm, easy enough. I've had my hubs off for various reasons a few time...

Stand on brakes. Loosen big hub with 1M bar / 42mm socket- watch out for LH thread on LH side.

Jack up, remove wheel, remove brake caliper/suspend, undo hub nut, slide off hub/disc, undo 4 disc to hub bolts, knock out old studs, knock in new studs.

Be careful not to damage the dust seal or get dirt in the bearings.

Reassemble *thumbup*

Stand on brakes again and retorque hub nuts (using new ones ideally or old ones with threadlock) to 200lbft I think it is - check that in the manual though.

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 9 Feb 2006 10:02:40