Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Back from Emerald - rather pleased

Jason Plato

Jason at Hellier Performance suggested in October that we would be wise to strip down my 1900K series just to be sure everything was OK and in fine fettle - he’s a bit of a professional like that ....... the engine had completed 3400 miles, done 24 sprints and 4 trackdays 😬 whilst producing 245 bhp. We hadn’t taken a spanner to it all season and it still recorded 11.9second quarter mile at the end of the season and still wheelspan in the dry out of my favourite local roundabout in 4th gear at 70mph *thumbup*

The strip down went well and all that Jason found that was of minor concern was a little wear on one of the piston wrist pins. The wear was a few tenth of a thousandth of an inch *tongue* but Jason suggested we replace all the wrist pins and replace all the small end bearings with improved material and add extra oilways just to be sure that we eliminate any further potential wear next season . The block was a Scholar item and even when new last season was only just acceptable with respect to ovality and taper so we took the opportunity to hone the block ourselves under compression to try and improve matters . Then it was just new rings and new bearings for good measure - despite the old bearings being OK , new water and oil pump - viewed as consumables, new cam belt tensioner , DS pump tensioner , all new belts and seals. And all the rods and crank were crack tested . The head was stripped and everything measured and checked the springs were replaced as a matter of course and new oil seals used .The valve seats were checked and tweaked as required, the valves all measured and checked the guides all measured and the cams checked. No wear was apparent at the top end. We took the opportunity to remove a little more metal from the head, check adjust the compression ratios were checked and adjusted on each cylinder, the piston protrusion was checked and measured and the block decked and radised.. All ports were flow bench tested for equal performance between cylinders, all clearances were than checked during a dummy build - twice *eek* and finally Jason assembled the entire unit. For some strange reason he enjoys doing this at 3am in the peace and quiet before exiting the workshop at dawn....

We also planned in some other changes and built up some parts that we wanted to try on the rollers. We took along some new induction, exhausts with varying length secondaries and a cunning plan for timing.

On the rollers we started off with last years spec and settings and recorded a base line reading before conducting a series of tests . The end result was a repeated reading of just over 247 bhp and 178lb torque - making this the most powerful K to be tested at Emerald. But the big results was the increase in area under the curve , with gains of upto 20bhp and 18lb torque in the midrange with a good increase in power above 7000 rpm and all on regular BP fuel and with the engine having only done 150 miles running in- the engine was tight !!.

The next developments are top modify the exhausts again, try some further mods to the induction, extra injectors and possibly a new cam. We will be back ........ Jason says there is more power there yet ! *tongue* 😬

the power graphs are here

My thanks go to Jason at Hellier, Warren at piper cams and Dave at Emerald *thumbup*

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Excellent work Dave (&Jason) *thumbup*

I do admire the time and attention to detail you put in to your engine and I'm sure it would scare me the amount it takes out of your wallet 😬

Look forward to seeing it go later this year.

Cheers

Tom

weight of the car last year was 472 kg (at the startline)

The little spike is apparently interference from sound pulses which upset Dave Walkers computer *confused* .

Oily 😬 I'll get some miles on it prior to the next round of mods *wink*, I also overlayed V7's graph and it was interesting to see the variations through the range.

Tom and Bozz , its not expensive to check stuff and the stuff we replaced as consumables are pretty cheap. but it is Jason following best practice *cool*

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 8 Feb 2006 06:52:20

• 2 months later...

Dave,

Just had the results from David Wards 1900K engined Caterham which was at Emerald today.. 251BHP out of the box..., That makes it the most powerful K engined Caterham to date on Dave's Rollers. That's on a 4-1 and intermediate trumpets. I reckon there may be more to come with some better manifolding and experimentation with trumpet lengths.

Oily

Oily - Dave Ward,

excellent results 😬 from David Wards 1900K, did this engine have 32.5mm exhaust & 28.3mm inlets ?

or are people using slightly larger valves (if poss) to produce these fantastic results ?

Oily, will be intouch when i get the short block...... as per our tele conversation.

cheers

Alex

Ah, the great tuner quote "... I reckon there's more to come from xxxx"! After my most recent (3rd!) Emerald visit with a pile of trumpets, inlet extensions and other bits and the last power run I think I'll just drive it for a bit! Ammo is itching to go back play with the exhaust and some other bits...

Dave J.

I'll bring the graphs along to Longcross - I can't compete on torque at the moment (167lbft @ 6500)!

I'm still on my old 4 into 1 R500 type system and the consensus seems to be that I could fatten my torque curve a bit with a 4-2-1 and some trumpet fiddling....

However after some tedious times with various problems over the last 2 years I just want to get on and drive it *thumbup*

Big thanks to Dave (DVA), Dave (Emerald) and Giovanni (GeeSport) for sweat, toil and expertise 😬

V7 HPD

Edited by - David Ward on 20 Apr 2006 22:25:50