Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More novice questions

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Licence received, championship registration in post, now just got to do the preparation on the car so have a few questions. I have read everything I can on here although I haven't delved into the blue book much yet.

1) Do I need a petty strut for the FIA bar for a) L7 Club events and b) invited events?

2) Throttle return springs - anyone got a picture or description of what is required on Jenvey DTHTBs? To my knowledge I only have the one spring.

3) Timing strut - is it easy to make one or should I just buy one from DT - how much?

4) I have leather S-Type seats so headrest should be OK - anyone have problems with this at scrutineering?

5) Any other quick pointers on preparation?

6) I have a cut-off switch but no fire extinguisher. I am in 2 minds about carrying an extinguisher as my first thought is the marshalls will be better placed than me to use one and I should really concentrate on getting out of the car not trying to put out a fire. What are other's thoughts on this - do you have an extinguisher? I am not likely to go down the plumbed-in route as the car is also used a lot for touring and I don't want to take up half the boot. Should I carry a small hand held or go for a 2.25 litre one? If I carry one it will be mounted transversely in front of the passenger seat where I used to have a small one mounted.

Looking forward to Longcross 😬

Yellow SL *cool* #32

A couple of thoughts

Fire extinguisher - don't bother - unless you are in Class 3, in which case get the biggest and heaviest you can find *tongue* Why not carry two?

Cut off switch - if fitted it has to work. Double check that everything, including windscreen wipers, lights, fan etc, cuts off with the switch - it's not enough for the engine to stop IYSWIM!

Headrest - I found with the S type seats that they head rest was uncomfortable with a crash helmet on! Assume you are ok with them, in which case the scrutineers won't mind either.

Black and yellow tape on the earth lead...

G for Geoff

Edited by - GTD on 7 Feb 2006 16:48:49

The plumbed in extinguisher is quite bulky, but unclips for touring. Has a safety pin as well so that passenger's handbag strap or similar can't set it off. Not sure I'd want to be on track without one, but maybe I'm a coward, or maybe you're less than 6'3" and can therefore get out more quickly than me.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

Shaun,

To answer a few:

1. Strictly with our championship (whether our or invited events) you do not need a petty strut. However the FIA rollbar does not meet FIA requiremenmts without it and hence at events you will see most competitors use one. Others go further and have a full roll cage. Outside the Lotus 7 club championship if you enter your car into a non-roadgoing class the FIA bar and strut are mandatory.

3. Just buy one from Caterham - its a standard part.

4. Search the archives and look for my thread on Head Restraints. If you have the modern leather seats then no problem - but you may find with a helmet on your head may be pushed further forward than you would like.

6. Opinion is divided on this as to whether to bother carrying one or not at sprint events. I suspect over time though this will become mandatory - just my opinion. Fire Ex regs for other types of events have been gradually beefed up over the last few years. See the Blue Book for full details of what to carry if you do decide to get one. Bear in mind that for a marshal the order of priority is their safety, your and spectator safety. Looking after the car is clearly bottom of the list. This is where insurance or deep pockets comes in...

Please do delve into the Blue Book. It looks a little daunting but you are expected to know the relevant sections.

Hope that helps

Brian

• Support Team

Car will always be in a roadgoing class (I'm not intending to do anything other than L7 club sprints) so should be no issue with petty strut. I would happily fit a petty strut but the forward mounting is not exposed at the moment so will be a bit tricky.

Will get timing strut from Caterham as I need to order some other stuff as well.

I have done several track days with the head restraint in place and recently have taken to reversing it for a bit more comfort. I hope this won't cause a problem with scrutineers.

Will consider the fire extinguisher - not in class 3 Geoff so no need to weigh me down. Will be in class 5 so not expecting great things.

The blue book will be my bed time reading for a while.

Anyone got any thoughts on a second throttle return spring for Jenveys?

Yellow SL *cool* #32