Click here if you are having website access problems ×

C/R gearbox

Davey Bee

I'm thinking of fitting a close ratio box as maybe my next upgrade. I know that Quaife are a popular choice, however there is Caterhams six speed, SP Components five speed, and I'm sure a host of others.

My car is a Vx with a 215bhp conversion, but at some time in the future I intend hoping to go for a 240bhp upgrade.

It would be nice to know the advantages/disadvantages and experience that others have had with each type of box.

Thanks Dave

I can only speak of the Quaiffe C/R HD straight cut box. I changed to one of these a couple of months ago. If you're going from the standard Type 9 the new ratios are a marvel, but you do tend to rev the nuts off it more than before.

Pretty noisy, 5th being particularly "musical" but it is a great noise. Certainly less refined than the type 9 - but if you wanted refinement you wouldn't have a 7. All in all I'd recommend it.

Credit to Phil Stewart for rebuilding the "Excellent Condition" box I bought! & Mr Webb for skinning his knuckles (& generally making an unnecessary fuss) putting it in. Oh & Redline for coming to the rescue in unsocial hours.

I've used a BGH (Brian Hill) Rocket 5 CR box in my seven for 5 years or so, it is helical and has excellent ratios (2.58 1st, .90 5th), a superb change and no undue noise.. it has also stood up to 185ft/lb and 250BHP with no problems and was a deal cheaper than the Quaife equivalent.

I've had experience of Quaife boxes in the past and while very good they are expensive and noisy.

Oily

I agree with Oily, my BGH box has been in for 3 years (1800 x-flow) and is great, I just hope it will be OK with the 2 litre Zetec. I choose the sport as opposed to Rocket ratios as they were a bit cheaper, Brian Hill also said they were also totally silent, he was right, he also advised the HD build whatever that was. Previously I had used 2 four speed quaifes, the first a modified sport box was great and virtually silent but I changed it to a rocket pro when I fitted the all steel 1800. The rocket was indestructible (rated at 270hp) but was extreemly noisy. BGH is on 01580 714114.

Paul