Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lethal Weapon 7

AMMO

In the recent icy conditions I managed to scare myself a couple of times due to a complete lack of rear end grip. Pulling away was almost impossible. I have 185-60-13 AO21R tyres with around 3 mm of tread left. The middles are more worn than the edges. I've been running 16 psi, now reduced to 14 psi.

In damp conditions whilst accelerating in second the damn thing snakes around quite a bit, sometimes when you don't expect it. It happened today whilst on a slip road. This exquisite little inconvenience, although quite fun when done deliberately, has only manifested itself since putting in the Zetec lump.

Even though there is tread left I think I will put some new rears on. I was thinking of sticking some 205-60-13 AO21Rs on. This would raise the gearing a tad but my gut feeling is that the grip problem may be worse rather than better.

Any opinions?

AMMO

Ice + Zetec torque = wheelspin

You need to set the traction control (right foot) to be a little more sensitive wink.gif

To be honest nothing much is going to help on ice except studs and they are only useful on sheet ice.

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif

Fast Westie

Two other people I've spoken to have suggested a little less right foot as well. Just come back from the shops when pulling onto the main road in first with very little gas in damp conditions the thing went sideways again. Completely unexpected.

Oily

I have a 3.92 diff, no lsd. Do I need one? I've never driven a car with an lsd so don't know what I'm missing. Did toy with the idea of a 3.62 diff at one stage.

What about tyres? Definately AO21Rs as I use the car every day in our lovely British weather. 185 again or 205?

Engine is 1800 Zetec, 33/29 valves (1mm oversize), ported head (134 cfm @ 10" with smallish ports), 45mm Dellortos with 36 mm chokes, 10.6:1 CR, Kent 2001 cams, MBE 3D ignition. Quite soft state of tune with scope for more work later if I need more power. For the moment I absolutely need more rear end grip. Still running in, only 600 miles. Going on dyno at end of month so have no idea what power it's producing. Feels quite lively. Hate to think what tuned 2 litre would be like in wet conditions.

AMMO

Steve

On the basis of your experience have ordered some 185-6-13 21Rs from George Polley today. Out of stock at the moment should be in in around ten days time. Thanks for your opinion. It just re-inforced what I already felt.

Nigel

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Anyone got any opinions on lsd diffs?

AMMO

FW

I'd rather not. Must be getting old. I get scared really easily.

Whatever happened to the young man who would climb mountains, ride motorcycles and stare death in the face at every opportunity?

**** knows!

Replaced by my present incarnation. My idea of a dangerous activity is adultery and I'm too scared to do that too.

AMMO

• 2 weeks later...
a new diff will help but it wont mean that you can hoof the car like an impreza, i have an lsd in my 2.0 vauhall and it is still a bit twitchy if you are too enthusiastic on anything other than bone dry roads,even then it might still give you a fright, good luck!

I've decided to keep everything as it is and to be more careful. The problem was after snow and ice. I assume ther was a lot salt and muck on the road. Now it's been washed away grip seems a lot better.

I did about 60 miles in the wet the other day (to go to buy an LSD diff that turned out not to have an LSD in it after all). You had to be a bit careful around roundabouts but could give it quite a bit of welly coming out of them.

I suppose I'm still learning the car with the new engine which has a lot more grunt than before. The rear end is the only area for concern. Front end grip is very good.

Roll on the good weather.

AMMO