Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CRB question

robmar

today I was going to get a few bits and pieces back together on the car...

first task was to fit new 'uprated' crb, the onld one came off with a reasonable tug from the fork, but when I came to place the new one on it simply sat in the fork and if I turned it upside down it fell off, whereas the original one would stay held to the arm...

on inspection the new one (left on picture) has a plastic housing with plastic moulded clips, whereas the original has an metal housing and metal clips to hold it onto the arm (right one on photo)

crb pictures

so have I got the correct one? does it matter that the fit is slightly looser on the newer 'uprated one'

car is a k with CC dry sump system if that makes a difference

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

Edited by - robmar on 5 Feb 2006 19:38:22

Just like the one I've just fitted and must admit that the plastic clips which secure it to the clucth actuating arm are very easy to damage when the bearing is being fitted. ☹️

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO and it's being rebuilt here

Rob, I swapped mine over a year ago for one of the new ones - very very loose fit, I called CC to query it but apparently that's what they're like. Once it's all put back together the pressure on the clutch arm holds the CRB in place anyway.

Mine's been fine ever since, done maybe 3k miles including 5 races.

Martin

Roadsports B with upgradeitis

Rob

1. Yes

2. once in and with some preload it isn't going anywhere but for ease of assembly it would be better if you could get it to sit snugly in the fork

btw your old INA one is a German one which haven't to my knowledge showed the wear problems of the Brazilian made items

Mark

Mark C - good german engineering...however when you spin it round you can hear the bearings rattling, which compared with a new one is super smooth and quiet...

Mark D - it was going to go on the shelf with all the other part worn parts, and slowly forgotten about so sure you can have it *thumbup* will send it in the post with my sprint entry form *thumbup*

rob *smile*

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

I noticed this difference when changing CRB last year. In fact I was so unhappy with the ability of the bearing to fall off during assembly that I "modified" the plastic with the help of a soldering iron.

As Mark suggests, once fitted plus a little pre-tension it isn't going anywhere.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

your old INA one is a German one which haven't to my knowledge showed the wear problems of the Brazilian made items
FWIW, both my CRB failures were with the German-made INA items. And both failures, according to INA, were due to insufficient pre-load. From what I've read, INA insist that the Brazilian item is made to exactly the same spec as the German one, and that country of origin has no bearing ( *smile*) on longevity.

Could it be that the SKF CRB tends to fall off because it's not designed specifically to fit the (Ford) clutch fork, whereas the INA one is?

JV