Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Good Tools - Lite

Psycho man

The Good Tools post got me thinking. Bearing in mind that space is at a premium. I'm sort of learning the hard-way what are the essential bits and pieces to carry, in addition to wheel changing kit, so you can still leave room enough for ones shopping.

Fuses

Jubilee clips for the exhaust cover.

Rope

Para cord

Garden wire

Leatherman tool

Minilight torch

Screwdrivers – phillips & Normal

Half a dozen spanners – including the type used by bicyclists.

Pair of grips

WD40

Orange T-shirt/rag

I don't think my list is definitive, precise and I'm certain it can be improved upon.

Any thoughts?

• Area Representative

That's why I've finally decided to get a mobile. Hope I don't get muggedsad.gif

I carry a small assortment of screwdrivers and spanners, tyreweld, I have no spare, and a 1 penny piece for the D-zus (I know I've mispelt that).

Novice wannabe. No really!

When I used to have a car i used a football boot bag in that i could carry a full set of spanners and a selection of 1/4 drive sockets and pliers a full set of screwdrivers, fuses, etc with jubilee clips, a hammer, cable ties, etc. etc.

With the tools in this bag they can be packed easily and the boot bag I had was padded so it did not dent the side skin.

Keith Pickering

now superlight lesssad.gif

Bungee net - turns the roll bar into a mini football net for shopping.

Insulating tape and tyraps - after an electrical apprenticeship one can make/mend anything with these.

Wet wipes - Take up less room than spare underwear.smile.gif

Mark

I have a "Dutch Barn" ,I think they're called. type tool box riveted on the horizontal panel where most folks seem to have a heater, and into this toolbox goes every sort of tool that I can think I might need whilst out on the road, but it couldn't fix the busted sumped syndrome,(BOO) so something to contain the tools, is probably the limiting factor as to what you actually carry, sod's law states that "what you need, you have, but not here and now" so take everything. Bye Nigel.

• Area Representative

I always work on the basis that you're less likely to need stuff if you've got it with you.

I've been accused of carrying the kitchen sink and would find it hard to argue with that, but hate the idea of being stranded for a simple, fixable problem regardless of mobile phone, RAC etc.

To the above list I would add:

-Duck tape. I can vouch for it's ability to hold shattered bodywork together.

-Rubber exhaust/radiator mounting bobbins. Used one just the other week after catching the exhaust on a level crossing.

-Selection of jubilee clips and a few short lengths of pipe to patch up cooling/fuel system leaks.

-Oil/water/petrol

-A few really chunky tywraps - about 10 X 600mm.

-Some electrical wire, scotchlock connectors and terminals.

-Throttle cable (joined by a clutch cable on long journeys)

This lot, plus tools, fits in a small canvas plumbers tool bag.

Needless to say my car weighs in at about 1500kg in roadgoing trim, but it was the lightest at our North Kent weigh in with an empty boot.....thumbsup.gifwink.gif

Crudders