Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will my live axle be strong enough for ACB10s

groutledge

I am currently running 185/60/30 32Rs in soft compound ( I have also used supersoft in the past as well ). My car is a 95 live axle with widetrack, Nitron dampers, LSD, rose joined A frame and crappy Ital axle. The engine is a 155bhp Roger King cross flow. I would like to try ACB10s for track use but am a little worried about my axle self distructing. I've had a few probelms with the wheel bearings ( suprise suprise ), in that the press fit had failed causing wheel drift. This happened a few times so Chris Wheeler at the 7 Workshop fitted brand new shafts, bearings and also made up 0special shims to support the bearings and since then I haven't had a peep from it.

I guess what I want to know is do the hard A33 compound ACB10's in 6/21-13 size have comparable grip to Soft 32Rs. I'm not after any more grip than i have now as the car is beautifuly balanced and more grip with spoil it, ( which is why i don't use the supersofts). I only want the controllability that a X-ply will give.

Anybody have any thoughts?.

Graham

Cannot help you with you query abot the tyres but when I ran very soft Hoosier cross ply tyres on my approx 150 hp x-flow Ital axle car the only problem I had was the oil surge created by the higher cornering forces, this resulted in several siezed pinion bearings, most exciting when exiting a corner. Get the casing properly baffled if its not been done. I had no problems with the wheel bearings or half shafts. The tyres were 185/60 13 equivalents.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Turner on 8 Jan 2002 12:48:00