Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What injectors should I get?

Dobuy

I am just in the process of installing an Emerald on my new 2.3 Duratec, aiming for 270bhp.

I have 45mm TB's, fuel regulator set at 3.7bar and Green Weber 270cc/min at 3bar injectors.

Karl at Emerald has informed me these may not be man enough to do the job

You require injectors with a flow rate of 380cc/min @ 3.0 bar fuel pressure (or 330cc/min @ 3.0 bar injectors running with a fuel pressure of 4.0 bar)

He also mentioned something about requiring low impedance injectors which rules out the Bosch green ones.

I know the pico 330cc injectors have the right impedance, but may be too short for my fuel rail.

What injectors should I get that would have the correct flow rate, impedance and preferably use my Weber fuel rail?

Edited by - dobuy on 4 Feb 2006 16:12:47

If Cosworth are still doing the deal o nthe Green Bosch items these were £99+ VAT for 4 inc Duratec fuel rail (but are std Bosch length/ fitment anyway)

They're o nmy VX 2.0 and Steve Greenauld was amazed at how responsive they were

Do a search on here if you can't find it drop me a mail, I'll dig out the invoice *thumbup*

Mark

Mark they have now realised their mistake the cossy green 330cc high impedance are now £160 with the fuel rail, still cheap IMO.

Dobuy, If your running raceline/jenvey TBs that have a drilling for the injectors I recomend you run two sets of injectors, the stock grey ones in the head and your 270`s in the bodies should work a treat. Also the emerald needs " high impedance injectors greater than 2ohms .

Rob

Rob

the ones I bought from them were 400cc green IIRC (part number 0280 155 968 I think) and are physically slimmer and of higher impedence than the 'standard shape' 330cc green/grey part number 0280 150 803 (which I still have a set of if anybody wants to buy some *smile* )

As you say at £160 they are still a very good deal

Mark

Rob, Making it Dual injector would be a pain as I have a nice new loom set up for only one injector.

Ammo, it may come to using my 270's but if I can find a better solution, I may throw more cash at it.

Edited by - Dobuy on 7 Feb 2006 15:35:52

Neil

I think there is only one Weber "green" injector and I am sure it is a higher flow that the 330 cc Pico (probably at 4 bar). Unfortunately I can't find my file with the fuel injection stuff to confirm this. We have seen 265 bhp with a 330 cc Pico in a 2.3 Duratec. I think you will be OK with what you've got. Why don't you suck it and see?

Found the file. I have a hand written note that says 382 cc for the green injector. I think I copied this from an old Burton's catalogue that quoted them to be good for 320 bhp.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 4 Feb 2006 22:43:02

Mmmmm I have a copy of the Weber parts manual on my computer and it says the Green are 280cc at 3 bar and that the beige are 384cc at 3 bar. Interestingly it also lists Pico injectors that weber supply. Impedances and injector dimensions are also shown. I got it off their website, so you should be able to view it if you go there

OK, I have finally got some clarity on the issue.

My injectors are the Weber IW031 Green 16.2 Ohms 270 cc/min which are "high impedance" and indeed I require high impedance for the Emerald (ignore all previous posts to the contrary)

Just took my pressure regulator off for a look and it has 380kpa on the side which fits with Peter from Raceline saying it was rated at around 3.7 bar (no adjuster evident AMMO). I am also running a R500 fuel pump.

I found this formula on the web for injector sizing

BHP X 5

-------- = injector CC (flow in cubic centilitres)

No Cyls

Then that should mean that if I am aiming for 270bhp or so I need about 340cc injectors

So, heres the first question, if I am running injectors rated at 270cc @ 3bar static, does this mean that running them at 3.8 bar would give an equivalent of 342cc?

Second question, as the map I got with the emerald was for 226bhp, should I

a) Change the injector size

b) Change the fuel pressure

c) rescale inj map numbers

d) a combination of the above

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Dobuy,The green cossy injectors 0280 155 968 are the correct impedance for the Emerald being a nominal 12 ohms. They are rated at 310g/m at 3.8 bar.

Any one know what 310g/m @3.8 bars is in cc at 3 bar? Also anyone know what the stock duratec grey injector 0280 156 010 flows in cc @ 3 bar ??????

Rob

Those are 382 cc/min at 3 bar (done by calculation...), so they'd be good for ~250bhp at 3 bar and fine for 270 @ 3.8 bar.

Calc is...

310 x 60 / 1000 x 2.2 x 10.5 x sqrt (3/3.8) = 382

The 2.2 is to convert from kg to lbs. The 10.5 is a factor for lbs/hr to cc/min as taken off the rceng page that I previously linked. This implicitly makes use of fuel density at 720g/litre. Fuel formulations do vary a bit, with BP Ultimate and Optimax getting close to 760g/litre. Injector ratings are more usually stated for traditional petrol formulations at about 720g/litre.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 7 Feb 2006 13:13:31