Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BGH gearbox conversions

oldbutnotslow

I want to retain the Type 9 box but want better matched ratios. BGH seem to be the people to go to for this. Ive spoke to Brian Hills and it all sounds fine. I just wanted to check peoples experiences before I become serious.

Any comments or experienceswould be most welcome.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

Just got my Type 9 rebuilt by BGH after I cracked the cast iron case. They changed it to a Quaife case, put in a different layshaft, sorted out some worn syncro's and bearings and turned it around in a very short time (influenced by my tight UK availability)

What really impressed me is how he changed part of the layshaft (because of the Alloy case design) but did not charge me for it as he was able to use my part in another refurbished box *thumbup*

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

I have a BGH conversion.

Good stuff, accelerates properly in every gear and revs drop right into the sweet spot of my 285 cams each change.

They will only charge you based on what you started with, unfortunately mine was the pre-uprate type and ended up costing £800 rather than the £500 I had budgeted for, still thats much cheaper than a 2nd hand 6 speed.

Works well on the track / sprints as 1st now runs to 45mph rather than 45 feet!

Good people to deal with also.

A very worth while upgrade, Caterham should specify a proer 5 speed from the start.

Tom

I have a BGH box and was very dissapointed with the syncro mod, basically it ment that it would crunch on every gearchange. I had to have all the modded syncro parts replaced to make it change gear properly.

I don't want to knock BGH as this was a 2nd hand box that i bought but the bits that I had to replace were not worn but modified to "improve the shift"

The ratios are great though.

Grant - ISTR we did this via e-mail a while back. I've not yet tried my box.

Dunno about this synchro mod. Don't recall it ever being discussed with me. They *do* make modifications to improve the lubrication (and as a result, the 'strength').

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 2 Feb 2006 23:53:13

• Leadership Team

My expeirence was excellent. A small outfit who do an excellent job. Don't expect a flash web-site and marketing experience - just a couple of excellent engineers doing a great job.

Michael.

I've just collected my third box in 10 years from Brian Hill, one was faulty due to a rogue batch of components, but Brian paid to have the engine taken out, the box shipped back to him for replacement and then to have it put back in again, so whilst not perfect all the timne, he dealt well with the problem and I remain a loyal customer = go for it, it'll be worth having one of his modified boxes. *thumbup*

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance! [Except building up my new CSR kit]

Chris, Brians right hand man fiited sprint ratios and lower cw&p 14 months ago. I took the box and diff, waited while he did box. Took greta pains to align the forks and as a result the gearchange is fantastic. The diff had a problem so he kept it and shipped it on a week later.

I have a slight problem with reverse gear selection. Brian offered to pay to have it taken out, shipped back, fixed and returned. I told him not to bother as it wasn't a major problem, I would sort it next time box is out.

Grant you have no worries about Brian Hill or Chris's workmanship. The only thing you need to think about is what do you want from the change.

I wanted acceleration at the expense of top speed. I had a conversation with Brian and we decided on the charateristics required based on the engine and my requirements..

My cars acceleration is gretly improved but the top speed is down from 151.6 to 134.8.

My only "problem" is that cruising speed on motorways is now 1000 rpm higher.

Don't get bogged down with ratios. Just decide what you want, talk to Brian and let him decide.

He knows what he's doing and his advice is free.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

tiddy1 it sounds like you have steel baulk rings, these aren't something BGH normally fit but I guess they can as an option. I've had them on a type 9 in the past and yes it goes crunch every gear change. They are stronger but ultimatly I've just gone back to normal ones now with all the other mods BGH do they have been fine.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

No it has standard bronze baulk rings it was the ramps on the inside of the syncro bit that had been ground to have a lower angle and "assist" the syncro. All these had to be replace so that I could get any kind of decient change.

That what comes of buying second hand parts..

The ratios are great though

Simon