Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CC dry sump belt size

Dave McCulloch

Last night I went to fit the belt on my newly fitted dry sump (K series), and concluded CC had sent the wrong length belt (a 3PK763). Phoned CC today who confirmed it was the correct belt, and was so tight that it needed "winding" onto the pulleys by turning the engine. Using this technique I've got the belt on, but I can slide the retaining pin in and out of the hole in the tensioner (even after turning the engine over several times) - ie the tensioner seems to be jammed back against its end stop.

This doesn't look right to me - can somebody pls confirm the belt length I should be using.

Thanks

Dave

Mmmm - 3PK825 is waaaay too long. And I really struggled to get the 763 off. Need to find if there's one in between...

Seems strange that people are using a range of belt sizes. I have the current gold pump with the r500 ally flanged pulley. I assume all Rover crank pulleys are the same diameter? (the engine started life in an mgf).

Back to the motor factors again tomorrow.

Dave

Tried fitting my belt, quite tight so wound it on cranking the engine, then pulled the pin out of the tensioner wheel and it sprung upwards away from the belt which went slack ! The wheel is in the middle of the belt not catching either the top or the bottom of the belt.

Gold pump, crank pulley is stepped with a larger ring for the cambelt and smaller ring in front for this belt.

What am I doing wrong !!

Matthew

When you wind the belt on, it goes around the scavenge pump and crank pulleys, with the outer face of the lower belt run above the tensioner pulley. When you release the temsioner pulley it springs upwards and takes up any slack.

I persuaded the 763mm supplied belt on, and all now seems well. Just finished fitting it all this afternoon with a bracket and microswitch added to proved a thrown belt warning.

Dave

Shaun

Thanks for the confirmation - I did indeed use the winding on technique, and started the engine up yesterday morning. Belt seemed quite happy. Unfortunately I'd obviously not tightened the jubilee clip enough where the J pipe meets the submarine pipe - result - the submarine pipe was pushed out of the J pipe by the coolant pressure resulting in coolant spraying everywhere *eek*.

Will try again tonight....

Dave

Simon

I made up a bracket the same as V7 SLR - so I can't take any credit for the design. Details are on this thread here.

The part number of the microswitch I used was GW73Q from Maplin - £1.19 each. I fitted a new warning light above the oil pressure gauge - I used a high intensity LED (N22BY - 70p each) which needs a resistor in series to limit the current (current remember the value offhand, but if you want to know mail me). The resistor is wired to the microswitch and a 30psi low pressure switch in a remote T piece, so the LED lights if either the belt is thrown or the OP drops below 30psi. There's absolutely no way I'll miss that LED coming on - though it might well burn out my retinas at night *eek*.

If you want any more info, mail me or post below.

Dave

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 6 Feb 2006 22:43:02

Simon

I drilled an 8mm hole in the dash (centrally above the oil pressure gauge), and mounted the 5mm LED using an LED clip (Maplin part No. UK14Q).

The in-line resistor you need for LED N22BY is 240 ohm (maplin part no. M240R). I wired the LED positive lead via the resistor to the back of the ignition switch (adjacent to the two white wires, same connector as the shift light is wired to if you have one). The negative of the LED I then wired to the low oil pressure switch and the microswitch in parallel (the other connector of the low pressure switch and the microswitch both being connected to the chassis - earth).

Thus, if either oil pressure dips below 35psi or the belt is thrown, the circuit is made to earth and the LED lights.

Having been out in the car tonight, I can confirm the system works - a teething problem meant the LED came on as the microswitch was not quite adjusted right and thought the belt had come off - now sorted hopefully.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...