Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Squeaky Rear

Gary G

Over bumps at any spead and over changes in camber at parking speeds, the rear of my 1990 de dion car squeaks. It's an aluminium-type noise and I've always put this down to the hood hoops. But could it be something more sinister than that??

I've not got a squeek, more of a clunk on the nearside - only thing I can find / think of is the handbrake cable clouting the chassi rail where it curls round and up to the brake unit (its a de-dion). But I keep checking the radius arms to see if they are coming loose!

Bri

Thanks for your responses. Chris, I don't think it's the A-frame bushes as I've replaced them recently with no change in noise.

I'll try the spring/damper thing, but I still think it's more of an aluminium-type noise (reminds me of the squeak I had from a Bickerton folding bike that was made of the same stuff).

C7 GAR

I had a squeak from the rear suspension on my DeDion car, which was cured (after a chat with Len Unwin) by fitting an additional thinnest-possible shim in each front A-frame bearing mounting point.

Did you re-shim from scratch when you changed the A-frame bushes, or just stick the old ones back in ?

A bad squeaking at the rear of my car turned out to incorrectly aligned rubber bushes on the top of the rear shock absorbers, allowing the central rod to move against the mounting plate, a few minutes with some spanners and some pushing got the thing sorted, hope this is of some help, regards Nigel.