Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Boot cover poppers - do I drill into the chassis tube, or somewhere into the panel?

Myles

I've got to fit my own popper bases to the new boot panel.

I can't recall if the old ones were mounted so that the rivets went through the popper, the skin *and* the upper tube around the boot - or whether they fit somewhere lower down on the panel...

Can anyone confirm???

I don't use hood-sticks - but I like the extra luggage space that they give - I don't care about the boot cover looking deflated in normal use...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Hi Myles on my seven the popers go though the rear panel about 1.1/2 to 2 inches down from the top tube, with large washers on the inside to stop them pulling through the back panel when you try to release them and to give them strengh when using the hood, hope this is some help Regards Paul ps nice meeting you at the autosport show mate *thumbup*

Myles

mine are immediately below the tube, almost in line with its bottom edge in fact. This makes the cover VERY tight over the boot though, and I can't get the LH leading edge to fasten.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

Tom

You'll probably find it fastens much more easily in the warmer weather - the boot cover shrinks alarmingly in the cold *eek*

Myles - Today is probably not the best day to fit the boot cover. As the old saying *

goes 'tight in the winter, baggy in the summer'

Guy

* probably *wink*

See some pictures of the build here. 8000 miles completed!

It was -2 degrees in the garden an hour ago... *eek*

I don't expect to get the rivets until tomorrow now at the earliest - I hope it will warm up a bit but stay dry...

Anyway, as I said - I don't use hood sticks (they were the first bit of weight saving...), so I'm used to a baggy boot *biggrin*

Thanks Paul. Sounds like a quite safe location.

I found I had three countersunk rivets in stock(!) and tried to fit one popper on the curved part of the sill (for the half door). Sure enough, I skated off the tube behind and cut a nice slot with my drill... Oops.

Paul - nope. It is hidden entirely by the popper base.

The thing was, I measured it up, used my 'automatic' center punch, felt it give more than expected and thought "Aha! I've hit paydirt - I've landed smack on the old hole"

And then the bit slid...