Click here if you are having website access problems ×

lights

caterhamnut

I understand that there are two types/makes of headlights fitted to7's. I have the not so good Brum made lights. Where can I get the better cibie (I think) type. Why are these better?

Or what rate/type of bulb upgrade can I get away with using my existing lights/wiring. I want better/brighter lights for nightime country driving.

Angus,

The wiring in older cars (pre 1995 without PTFE wiring) can take pretty powerful bulbs. The connectors on the backs of the bulbs however, are inclined to melt!

You can get bakalite material H4 bulb connectors which withstand the heat and use soldered connections to prevent heat build up through resistance in the wiring. I have run these with 130w dip/150w main bulbs for about 5 years as I am blind at night!

I think Vehicle Wiring Products sell the H4 plugs in bakalite.

The newer PTFE insulated looms use thinner conductors so the wiring may not be up to the task.

The Xenon bulbs they sell in Halfords are a good bit brighter than std 60/55w and they draw no extra current.

As for lamp units, you can buy the CIBIE 7 inch lenses from Caterham, or James Whiting does nifty 5 3/4 inch lamps which look the dogs. (Less drag too!)

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 7 Jan 2002 17:23:45

I changed my light units last summer from Lucas to Cibie H180 (The Z180 doesn't seem to be available now) and I was completely disappointed with the results.

The dip pattern on the Cibie seems really poor and is worse than a Beetle with 6 Volt electrics. I have re-fitted the Lucas units and they are much better.

The Lucas units I have use a 60/55W H4 bulb and aren't too bad. The Cibie came supplied with the same bulbs.

I had used Cibie Z180s on Rally Cars for years and they were very good and I was really shocked when I fitted the new H180s.

I think that you can buy a 100/80 as well and I think I will try these in the Lucas relectors.