Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

First MOT due - will it pass on emissions?

Dirty Den

My 7 is due its first MOT in the next couple of months. It's a RoadSport A (EU3 1600 Supersport with Caterham 4 into 1 exhaust and no catalytic converter).

Engine is looked after - it was refreshed by Minister before I bought it and hasn't been raced since, although it does get used on trackdays. Oil (Mobil 1 although I am thinking of changing to Silkolene from Oilman) gets changed often (way too often!) and the car is run on Optimax.

What are the chances of a well looked after EU3 1600 Supersport passing emissions without a catalytic converter at a computerised MOT test center?

I was thinking about popping it for an early test to see what the situation is, but if there's no hope of it passing in its current form, then I'd rather save the cash!

Cheers,

Den

http://www.dens7.co.uk

Where are you? There are still (AFAIK) 7-friendly stations in existence that aren't computerised yet...

I don't know what the score will be without a cat, but my similar engine passed a 'voluntary' test two years ago with one fitted. I've kept my catted exhaust in the garage purely for MOTs - it's not a big job (1/2 an hour or so?) to swap zorsts over - put a call out to your locals to see if someone has one handy???

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Hi Myles -

I'm in North Hampshire and could probably beg and borrow a cat if need be - but I was just wondering what the likely result would be.

I think the test station that the North Hants & Berks regulars use hasn't been computerised yet, so obviously in the short term I might be OK - but I was just wondering what the long term situation would be when they do get computerised.

Cheers,

Den

Hi Rob -

Many thanks for the offer *thumbup* - I'll see how I get on and might well take you up on it! *smile* *thumbup*

To be honest, I'm struggling to remember if it has a lambda probe or not. I think it does, inside the engine bay instead of outside *confused* 🤔

Hi Mike -

Thanks for the "heads-up" - looks like I was right to ask before booking the test on the off chance!

Cheers,

Den

Den,

You might well find that it's worth getting it tested, if it fails just on emmissions then fit the exhaust and take it back within 24/48 and they'll probably retest for free - worht trying as it may avoid all the grief of changing the exhaust twice.

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

how much of a difference does (or should) it make having the lamda on the outside (all four cylinders) as opposed to on the inside (one cylinder). My current R300 has it on the inside (from new, factory built) and my previous one that I build was also on the inside and I took it to the SVA and it passed no problems and no questions asked?

I've just popped into my local 7-friendly place - he's not tested the emissions for the last two years...

He *is* computerised now but is convinced that a test won't be necessary 'as it is a kit car' even though I pointed out that I believe it was tested at SVA...

He says the first test is the trickiest - this is where the computer will either say 'yes, I recognise that VIN - here's what it is and how it is supposed to perform' or says 'dunno guv, choose from this list...'

As long as we make the right choice, that's set in stone for future tests...

I still might put my cat back on just to be safe...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Have a look at your V5 and see what it says about emissions etc.

My 2002 Roadsport ex racecar has something that when the tester looked at it and the MOT manual made him decide it didnt need any test. Mine was regd & SVAd by Caterham and they may have managed to get something on the V5 that helped somehow.

Ritchie

• 1 month later...

My 7 has just been for the MOT and has failed ☹️ on emissions and some other points. I've also got some "observations" and to top it all off, the engine started to sound weird after the test, on the drive home.

The engine sounds "tappety" but not all the time - seems to be shortly after changing gear and under load. I really hope it is nothing as I don't want to be having engine work done just now. ☹️ Would any local Blatchatters be able to have a listen sometime for me and tell me if it's anything to worry about?

The car also failed on the headlamps - the offside light beam wasn't displaying the correct shape and they were both aiming too high.

Observations; front tyres close to legal limit and gearbox seal weeping (where the front of the prop joins the gearbox).

Emissions results (in case anyone is interested) are:

First fast idle test /second fast idle test (limit in brackets)

CO: 0.93 %vol, 0.47 %vol (0.3)

HC: 225 ppm, 94 ppm (200 ppm)

Lambda: 1.06, 1.10 (0.95 - 1.09)

Natural idle test also failed with CO at 1.35%.

The MOT test center suggested that I might like to replace the lambda sensor - they wondered if it might be cooked by the competition exhaust and said that if the readings could get consistent and level, it wasn't far off passing.

Not a happy chap ☹️

Den

the mot tester wont look at the V5 to determine the emissions test requirements with the new computerised system . With the new computerised system the tester inputs the registration details and the DVLA tell the test station the requirements.

The days of "Ohhhh its a kit car it wont need testing" are gone (unless you are are sept 98 ) . The only way is to use another car to do the test.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just got my 2002 roadsport passed the computer test for the first time - no emissions test required, visible smoke test only.

The way it was done is when you look for the engine type on the computer it mentions about some letters in the VIN number referrring to whether the vehicle is ameteur built or not. If it is amateur built the visible smoke test only is required. You need to get the MOT man to be helpful and refer to the "Emissions manual" which I managed to get a copy of the Caterham page.

The page says

"The VIN Code consisits of the 6th,8th and 9th digit of the VIN number. Where the 10th digit of the VIN is equal to or less than V and the 6th digit is C or K, the vehicle concerned should be considered as ameteur built and as such should receive a visual smoke test only"

I think it helps if the V5 doesnt have any emissions value to test against.

I also get the impression that all cars built from starter kits or CKD kits might have the required digits in the VIN number.

I can fax/scan this page if anyone wants it.

In summary, check your V5 and VIN code and you may get away with a visible smoke test witha friendly MOT man.

Mine is in Faygate, West Sussex - very helpful. His sons both compete with the other type of seven

Ritchie

"The VIN Code consisits of the 6th,8th and 9th digit of the VIN number. Where the 10th digit of the VIN is equal to or less than V and the 6th digit is C or K, the vehicle concerned should be considered as ameteur built and as such should receive a visual smoke test only"

Bless 'em for missing out on reading that that rule only applies to pre August '98 cars.

Amateur built post 1st August '98 cars have (according to the intended reading of the rules) to pass a catalyst test.