Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

blocking off breathers from head (k) what with?

robmar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you appear to have a considerable knowledge of my setup 😬

my 🙆🏻
😬

I've just noticed that the DJ setup will not necessarily result in the system ejecting excess oil into the catch tank. You will instead get a lot of oil being recirculated via the hose back to the cylinder head. This is not necessarily a good thing. Any comment, Dave?

Excess oil blow back is not an issue as I run a comfortable 7l in the entire system and the level in the bulk tank is 2.5" fron the base and doesnt result in excess spewing out unlike the caterham belltank or pace tank *smile* *thumbup*

the engine would make more than 254bhp with some miles on it (only 140 miles on it last weekend) and a visit to Brixton Emerald prior to the roller being calibrated ........ *wink* *tongue*

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

In your case, my point about recirculation is probably hypothetical. If you had the system overfilled, the dry sump tank would habitually eject oil through the hose back to the cam cover. This would make the level in the dry sump tank appear to be constantly at maximum (by definition), so all would appear to be well. However, the system could be flooding a lot of oil into the head and could have a significant build-up of oil in the sump, with associated windage problems. Taken to an extreme, with massive overfilling all might still appear to be well, but you could be risking hydraulic lock.

With DJ breather arrangement it is correctly filled when the dry sump is "slightly less than full", running with warmed oil at idle.

How can you tell which outlet is which on the cam cover, I've seen more than one layout on plenum equiped cars. Presumably you can tell by the route the outlet takes so which is which on my car 🤔 One runs to the plenum and one to the tb.

Or is the front one allways the one connected to the passages that return gas flow from the crankcase.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Job not done yet as i have been away.

still unsure what goes where.

I have a remote tank with 2 hoses. the middle one goes to the catch tank and the outer goes back to the cam cover.

Q. does the hose go to the inlet or the outlet breather? I think its the inlet but just what to be sure.

thanks

David

SL #146

Alright, now you have me wondering. Looking from the front of the car, I have the first outlet blocked off, and the one closest to the windscreen routed to the catch tank. I've been running it this way for 4 years. Excess oil drains into the catch tank if overfilled. Is this set up correct???? Tom

• 1 month later...