Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removal of spare wheel carrier

Geoff Dixon

I am about to remove the spare wheel carrier, using the search facility I have found a number of postings describing the best way to carry out this.

Before I start hacking away at the metal tubing of the carrier is there any magical tool that will cut through this tubing giving a perfectly straight cut.

With Andy's method (which I used), 4 bolts are used to secure a steel rod into the two chopped tube ends.These bolts ( in my case M7 galvanised carbon steel from a DIY supermarket!) withstand "shearing" constraints under acceleration and braking.

Question: what would a better material spec: Stainless Steel, Titanium?

Pierre

Geoff, you can by a set of rubber feet in grey or black from B&Q or Homebase for a few quid which do a nice job of covering the stubs. I used the 19mm/ 3/4 inch ones. I also made a small plate which I hung from the spare wheel holder bush, (10mm bolt from memory). I then stuck another number plate to the it, so it made the change quick and neat.

No problem distributing that stuff. If you think people can understand my descriptions!

And a quiet word with Chelspeed will let you know where to get some superb bungs from that fit the ends just smart and make the job look finished (he might still have a few if you send him an SAE).

When I can be bothered I'm going to look for some r-clips (the split pin type things with a round end to hold onto) to make it properly quick release. That said, I've only put it on once in 18mths or so!

Making the spare wheel carrier removable is a great idea. One issue that nobody has addressed is what do you do about illuminating the reg plate which presumably now stuck to the bodywork. If a lamp is fastened above the plate surely this will obstructe the wheel when you put the wheel carrier back on. Am I right, is it not a legal requirement to illuminate the rear plate??

I've used one the same as on the rack but fixed it to the hole that the spare wheel bolt goes into. It then removes when the carrier is in place and a spade connector sorts the connection out.

It doesn't look as good as a clean rear panel, but unless you have it reskinned you're going to have to contend with that anyway.

One plan still on the list is to find a really small but bright light that would be less obtrusive on the rear panel. But I never seem to get round to it.

Pictures are on the 7gallery. Page 8.