Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting rear wings with undrilled bodywork

Myles

Right, time to fit the rear wings, methinks.

The bodywork came back undrilled - fortunately I have a rivnut kit and the original GRP wings that were fitted to the car.

I've searched TT, but haven't found anything blindingly obvious with regard to gotchas - are there any?

Also - can anyone tell me why rivnuts aren't used *everywhere* when wings are fitted by the factory? I don't get it...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Rivnuts are only used where you don't have rear access to a nut - simple reason is rivnuts are prone to spinning - so why give your self more hassle later.

When I got my chassis back the first hole was marked by Bruce for me so I started with that one, fitted the wing and then rotated it until the rear edge lined up. Marked a couple of holes, fitted rivnut / bolts, and then did the remaining holes... easy really.

Edited by - philwaters on 29 Jan 2006 14:29:28

Thanks.

I went ahead and fitted the wings before I saw your replies... The two conventional 'nut' locations can easily be got at with a set of pliers/grips anyway - and given that I'm using plastic bolts, I don't think (maybe naively) that they are likely to cause a rivnut to spin.

I didn't have anything to use as a reference - no marking of holes by Bruce ☹️ - I was forced to use the original GRP wings that came with the car, get it into rough position, drill and fit a rivnut, hang the wing from that position and then fiddle with the wing until I was happy.

I've currently used five rivnuts per side rather than fill every hole that was in the wing - two at the top, two on the leading edge below the front tie-bar pivot point and one at the bottom corner at the rear. It's possible that I should add another on the trailing edge, partway round - but it seems solid enough and ISTR seeing recommendations from people like Graham Ford to keep the number of bolts to a minimum.

Anyway, I'm just about to write it up for the site. I think I've done a good enough job - the tyres do look slightly closer to the leading edges than the trailing ones, but this was largely unavoidable.

Heh-ho!

Myles

Have you checked clearance on the side screens? Just been looking at a side on shot of my car and the wing is very much closer to the tyre at leading edge than trailing edge. If it was central the side screen would never shut.

I can send photo if you want to see what I mean, it's the square on side view for the insurance.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

Side whats? *tongue*

I run an aeroscreen and half-doors - but yes, the damned things still have to fit the leading edge of the wings.

I'll blatmail you with my email address - actually, why don't you flip through the write-up here (or skip to the gallery here and send the piccie to the webmaster... *wink*

You'll notice that the wings are closer to the front of the tyre than the rear - I suspect (and hope) that it will sit a bit more central when the suspension is rescued from full-droop - I haven't checked the original photos of the car though.

FWIW, I fitted the rear wings first so that they would give be a reference for the half-doors/tonneau. I will then use this to provide a further reference for my wing-mirrors and aeroscreen (everything is connected).