Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Leftover part in CC dry sump kit

Dave McCulloch

Having fitted the CC belltank dry sump system to my K series, I've got a part left over which I have no idea what it is or where it should be fitted.

It's a steel bar about 4" long and 1/2" wide, with 2 holes in it both towards one end.

Anyone give me any ideas as to what it is? It was in the bag with the pipes.

Thanks

Dave

I asked CC about this & they said it fits inside the crankcase to prevent catastrophic loss of OP during L hand bends. It fits up to the oil rail & stops oil leakage.

Well it's nearly April 1st 😬

Peter

If you're ok with removing the engine, it's not hard to fit at all. Takes me about 3 hours to get the engine out, a little longer to get it back.

Mine's taking longer because of the other little "extras" - I'm rigging up a warning lamp to indicate a thrown belt, and at the same time I'm fitting a remote installation for the oil pressure sensor on a T piece with a 35psi low pressure switch - linked to the same warning lamp as for the thrown belt. I want to know about an oil pressure problem immediately, not when the Caterham damped gauge drops and I notice it's done so *eek*. Having mentally worked out what I've spent on the engine, the DS became a bit of a no brainer given I was getting noticeable oil surge.

If you want to pop round one night for a nosey, give me a ring on 07881 578682 - I'm around most evenings this coming week. (though the engine is now back in the car, but I can still take you through what's involved).

Dave

Dave,

Ah. You threw me for a moment when you said you took the engine out, then I read your 1st post properly. I had it in mind that you had fitted the new CC system with the external tank that, I believe, can be fitted with the engine in place.

As for removing the engine...well I have sort of done it once, but that was with my engineering Mentor Mr Newman 😬

Will you be blatting across to Piston Heads next week, might see you then ?

Cheers, Peter

Mick

I'm fitting a microswitch on a bracket which will have its operating lever against the belt tensioner pulley mechanism - if the belt's thrown the tensioner will spring to its farthest position and the microswitch lever will be released - shorting the wire from the lamp to gound. Can't claim any credit, as I'm copying the system used by V7 SLR!.

Peter - I doubt I'll be at the Pistonheads meet - the car won't be back in one piece by then as I'm awaiting a shortage from Caterham which they're still out of stock of.... Few other bits and bobs I want to sort whilst it's in pieces as well.

Dave