Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shiftlights

finmac

Have a single shift light at the moment, driven from the ECU but fancy changing to a dash top box. Two questions:

1. How easy to wire same.... simply a question of using the existing cable from the ECU and getting power to the box?

2. Whats the current best recommendation (on a budget)?

cheers Finlay

HPC with QED 450

The wiring is straight forward, I scotchlocked the feed to the revcounter and found a live feed and earth behind the dash.

The fiddly bit is setting the values at which the lights light, this is done by touching the orange wire to earth which is a bit hit and miss.....it does develop hand eye coordination and patience.

Paulo - I've just seen the installation notes for those shiftlights. I would imagine that it would be quite easy to have a small push button switch between the orange wire and earth. This would make it a lot easier than touching the orange wire to earth. *smile*

cheers,

Darren.

I have just fitted the OMEX Sequential shift lights, and I made a carbon plinth with a hole drilled in one end to mount the LED unit on. I then drilled a hole in the scuttle (be careful to miss the chassis member), and used self adhesive pads to mount the LED on the plinth and the plinth on the scuttle after feeding the LED wire through the hole (see below).

The wiring is fairly straightforward. The white/ black wire out of the back of the tacho which is the trigger signal connects to the blue Omex wire. I connected the black Omex earth to a bolt through the bulkhead by the fuse box (but there is a black wire which comes out of the tacho which could be used). And the red Omex wire to the ignition switch 12V supply heated front screen wire by the fuse box.

I then purchased a mini mate-n-lock 6 way connector from auto electrical supplies (and some additional male and female connectors in case I messed up). I cut the LED wire and fed the wire through the plinth and scuttle, then re-connected under the dash (a little fiddly but not difficult). The control unit was mounted on the bulk head with scotch lock Velcro stuff, and job done.

The installation looks really neat and the Omex light work perfectly *thumbup*

Keith

• 4 months later...

I have recently re installed the Digitool shift lights, there is no need for an extra switch as there's one on the dash already, the horn.

Replace the live feed to the horn by the little orange wire and the set up of these shiftlights becomes much easier.

Another vote for the WebCon unit, good vfm. Definitely NOT waterproof, as experience has shown me, but it dries out fairly quickly and still works. Quite entertaining when it get wet inside as the lights just look like a disco with colurs flashing at all speeds in all gears 😳

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

Drive it like you stole it! *eek* but don't tell my pupils that 😳